PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Tuners - which one do you use?

chasyboy
03-08-2006, 05:43 PM
I know Tom likes the DT7 (and thanks for the calibration insight for Eb) and it has served me well for years but I've been lately I've been looking at the Peterson StroboStomp. Anyone like it?

I like the idea that it is true bypass and that it can replace my A/B box since I don't like the sound of the DT7 in the signal (I know many of you run it off your Launch Pad).

But as I understand, you step once...mutes everything, twice, sets to true bypass....then it can also do non-bypass? And easier to set faux Feiten intonation for those vintage guitars?

Anyone like the sound of the DI?

olectric
03-08-2006, 06:00 PM
I used the DT-7 for several years until a few months ago when I got a StroboStomp. I think it is FAR superior, especially for live use. The display is really great, and its Feiten mode seems to be more accurate to me. Maybe the SS is just more accurate overall, given that it's a virtual strobe whereas the DT-7 is an LED tuner. I have heard reviews from users who do not have Feitenized guitars that the SS's "sweetened" offsets are great also.

Regarding true bypass, there are a couple of mini switches that need to be flipped in the battery compartment to make the pedal TB.

I've never used the SS's DI.

tom
03-08-2006, 06:18 PM
if you run the tuner off the second out on the launch pad, it is seeing a separate buffered out. you don't hit the switch, it's always on.
as for the ss, bruce has one here and my results don't get any better or easierwith it. he likes the display better but i'm just used to the dt7. we had both setup side by side in a hain so we could look at both. but if you like it better, use it. for me the extra real estate isn't there to even consider it. i can't imagine what i would use a di out for with an electric guitar. maybe the crowdster into the pa.
another thought. i do like the fact that my tuner is live even when i'm playing. every once in a while i'll check tuning on a ringing open string when i don't want to silence the note.

GaryMcT
03-08-2006, 06:30 PM
I use the strobostomp in true bypass mode as well. I don't need the DI out. I'm really loving it, although it's a bit more work to set intonation wiht it from what I hear. I haven't had to do that since Andersons come intonated just fine from the factory.

morty
03-09-2006, 02:33 AM
I have always tuned my electric guitar trough my G-force, and finetuning by ear, but after I got an Anderson, I had to get a Feiten tuner, and bought the Peterson Strobostomp.. I have also intonated my guitar trough mye Strobostomp. You have to set the 12.fret preset manualy, but onse you store it it`s ok.. a bit tricy to switsh between regular mode and 12.fret mode..

I don`t like it live, because if it`s dark it`s difficult to see the display, and you have to take good time and ease down to get the exactly right spot on. I find it difficult to intonate with the heavy non SS frets, because it so touch sencetive! I had to do it 3-4 times before I knew how mutch to press the strings on the 12. fret.

My guitars is very stable and have good setups, so I don`t have to tune my guitars often in a live set.. usually I tune them in the pauses.

In all I like the Strobostomp, and I think it`s tho most accurate tuner you could get at the moment.. Thats the most important thing to me!

bruce
03-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Hey Gary.. pretty funny reading this post... I have you guitar on my bench as I write this, and guess what? I just intonated your Atom with both the DT-7 and the Strobostomp! It should be finished today.

ryman150
03-09-2006, 01:25 PM
I have two of the Stobos. One for my Crowdsters and one on my electric pedalboard. I love them. I actually think they're great when it's dark. On stage, when all the lights go down, they are still really bright. It's perfect for that quick adjustment inbetween songs. I still use the DT-7 for intonation. Seems quicker. :cool:

GaryMcT
03-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Hey Gary.. pretty funny reading this post... I have you guitar on my bench as I write this, and guess what? I just intonated your Atom with both the DT-7 and the Strobostomp! It should be finished today.

I can't wait!! That Atom with jumbo frets is going to be dreamy. How'd it turn out? :)

bruce
03-10-2006, 02:26 AM
I can't wait!! That Atom with jumbo frets is going to be dreamy. How'd it turn out? :)

Pretty darn dreamy! We updated your bridge. I noticed a little bit of saddle vibration so we replaced it. Also made the Drop D tuner work smoother.. Tom took the reigns with that.

Please call me at the shop... I need to ask you about your set up preferences... I tried to call you today, but the number we have didn't want to work. If I'm not in when you call, please leave a number where I can get you and I'll call you ASAP.

GaryMcT
03-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Pretty darn dreamy! We updated your bridge. I noticed a little bit of saddle vibration so we replaced it. Also made the Drop D tuner work smoother.. Tom took the reigns with that.

Please call me at the shop... I need to ask you about your set up preferences... I tried to call you today, but the number we have didn't want to work. If I'm not in when you call, please leave a number where I can get you and I'll call you ASAP.

I'll PM you my number now. I also called and left the number for you this morning.

Thanks!
Gary

billyguitar
03-13-2006, 02:44 PM
The Strobostomp is great to use. You can see it in the daylight and the extra power taps are convenient. It's also fun to watch!