PDA

View Full Version : GOTW--Crowdster Plus

Allamricn
03-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Pics look fabulous !! Site did not offer alot of info about it--or--I just didn't look in the right place. Will there be more info coming soon ?? Anywhere to get sound clips yet ?? Anyone have more info PLEASE post it. Great job Tom looks like a very nice addition to the family....
Bob

tom
03-06-2006, 11:32 AM
that is the only one and it's gone already. we are building several more in the next week or 2. we contacted everyone that had crowdsters on order and a some changed over to +'s. we're bad about clips. not enough time and i have heard enough clips that made me not want to buy things that they scare me.

wodka
03-06-2006, 02:10 PM
So, can you get a good, clean jazz tone out of it? I know the piezo isn't great for that. Now a neck and bridge pickup would be cool. Kind of like a Hamer Duotone.

One more question: why the large pickup ring? If the route larger than normal?

tom
03-06-2006, 03:58 PM
it wasn't made for the jazz thing, but with a neck humbucker it would do agreat job of that. this is made to feel like an acoustic, so the wider neck and bridge spacing may not be for all jazzers.the ring is bigger partly because the string spacing is wider, and partly because i didin't like the look of a big square thing on a guitar that doesn't have any other square things on it.

getgo
03-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Any progress on adding to existing Crowdys? ;)

Allamricn
03-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Any progress on adding to existing Crowdys? ;)

Man I would be interested also :cool: ;) :)

tom
03-06-2006, 11:34 PM
just finished a retro before i came home. still have to figure out if it's practial to do. it's more work than adding it to a new one so i'll have to consider that in a price.

getgo
03-07-2006, 09:55 AM
I can only imagine the headache of adding to something that was not originally designed for something else. Thanks for keeping us posted. :)

vfrancpa
03-25-2006, 06:27 PM
that is the only one and it's gone already. we are building several more in the next week or 2. we contacted everyone that had crowdsters on order and a some changed over to +'s. we're bad about clips. not enough time and i have heard enough clips that made me not want to buy things that they scare me.

Tom- Can you provide any details on how the + sounds though different amps that I assume you would have tested it through? I believe you mentioned the T-5 is more for electric players who want the occasional acoustic sound versus the + which might be geared toward acoustic players who want the occasional electric sound. I am one of those electric players but I need convincing that the + is better for me given how much I love my HDTC ;) . I currently play out of either a Fender Pro Twin or a Mesa Lonestar and was just curious if the + would work on an all electric song if needed. I realize I won't be able to get the full crunch/high gain as I would using my HDTC or Les Paul but just curious how far it can go. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

tom
03-25-2006, 06:46 PM
i'm not sure i understand the question but i'll give it a shot. if we're talking about replacing the hdtc, that's not what it for. the neck is acostic dimensions, with acoustic strings. this is no lead guitar. it does a spectacular job at crunchy chords, and high gain chord sounds are huge. remember it has large strings and a very focused mini humbucker with lots of output.
the + side of it has sounded big and full through any of my tube amps. it would sound as bad as any electric plugged into a pa with no processing gear. the acoustic side sounds wonderful through a full range system or pa. i have very much enjoyed playing it through a tube amp in mono, but of course the acoustic tones are not very convincing, just like any acoustic electric played through an amp voiced for an electric guitar.
so if the question was why you should get this over a t5, i'd have to ask how you intend to use it, and what you're going to play through to give a fair answer.

vfrancpa
03-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks! You've somewhat answered my question. It's not to replace the HDTC but rather the HDTC was a reference to how much I love your guitars.

I only play out live with the "band" about 6 times a year. Although I've played a number of years, I just use music and guitar as an escape out of the daily grind of tax code and regulations (probably more that you want to know but just to give you some background :) ).

As far as intended use, we play cover songs ranging from the Doors to Collective Soul to U2 and all the way to Pearl Jam. Some of the songs would sound great part acoustic and part electric (i.e. Free by Train, Collective Soul- December or some Matchbox 20- 3am). I guess when you break it down I simply want to get an acoustic and an electric sound during the same song. So with that, I would plan to use an A/B switch with the acoustic going through our power mixer while the + side of it would go through the effects board (with the FDII as my distortion pedal) using the Mesa Lonestar as my electric amp. For the more rocker tunes with featured leads, I would stick to my electrics. Hope that clarifies.

enr1co
03-25-2006, 08:52 PM

That NAMM Crowdster + had some killer quilt but If anyone is looking
for one very similar, I just spotted a new one available... :)

e

getgo
03-25-2006, 10:41 PM
just finished a retro before i came home. still have to figure out if it's practial to do. it's more work than adding it to a new one so i'll have to consider that in a price.

Not naggin' ya' Tom but any progress in a decision to do any more of these?

krowder
04-28-2006, 12:29 PM
id definitely be interested in a retro

tom
04-28-2006, 02:31 PM
we are taking a couple in to do the work. i think $400 is the price. we will see how these go to evaluate the time spent.