PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Pickups and Electronics

ktwpsg
01-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Hey guys,

I have a question or two about the pickups and electronics on the Anderson Cobra.

First of all, what magnets does the H1- and H2+ humbucking pickups have respectively? (alnicos 2s? 5s? ceramic?)

How hot are they? (In terms of DC resistance and Resonance Peak?)

Also, what kind of pots and caps does the Cobra use?

Thanks guys!

Ken

ktwpsg
01-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Anyone? Tom??

tom
01-19-2004, 08:23 PM
those are both cceramic. HO's are alnico2. the magnet structure on the H series is way different than conventional humbuckers, making the dc resistance irrelevant. the H2 is about the same output as a jb, but the low end is tighter. h1- is a bit hotter than a vintage humbucker, with again a richer bottom end. both split better than any vintage style humbucker.
pots are 500k and vintage voicing is kicked in when ever you have splits on so they think they are seeing 250k pots.

JGraham
01-25-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by tom
pots are 500k and vintage voicing is kicked in when ever you have splits on so they think they are seeing 250k pots.

Vintage Voicing? I haven't opened up my Cobra, but is this strictly due to the pickup itself, or is there some extra circuitry involved to allow the pickup to "see 250k pots"?

Interesting...

tom
01-25-2004, 05:17 PM
there is a very elaborate circuit that does this amazing thing to the pickup. it senses when it the pickup wants to see a 250 k pot, and through a logic circuit, diverts the signal to a different stacked pot.... well not really. the 5 way activates a load resistor, only when splits are on, that fools the pickup into thinking it is seeing a 250k pot. very simple, but quite effective.

John Price
01-25-2004, 05:50 PM
And that's why I love Anderson Guitars!!:D ......

michaelomiya
01-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by John Price
And that's why I love Anderson Guitars!!:D ......
me too!!! Ok, now everyone get together for a group hug....awww, that's nice:D :D :p