PDA

View Full Version : Removing Switcheroo Completely. Ideas?

AndyT
02-24-2006, 02:51 AM
Subject (or victim as it may be): My 2001 Hollow T Drop Top with H S H pickups and Switcheroo.

Being from the old school (or maybe just a bit old) I find the switcheroo is getting in the way for 2 reasons.

1) I don't use any of the split settings and I rarely use the bridge PU alone anyway. I do use pickup combinations and switching between the neck and neck/bridge together requires looking down at the switches (often while playing and singing). On a dark stage with my aging eyes that can be a real issue. Mostly i screw it up and switch to my Hollow T Classic (my first true love).

2) I am a tinkerer at heart and feel that this particular guitar would sound great with a "Charlie Christian" style pickup I am having specially built that will drop in a humbucker slot and a Burstbucker Pro in the bridge that I have sitting here. Both pickups have no splitting options.

So, the point is if I carefully pull all the beautiful electronics out of her to be stored, what would be the best choices for wiring, given my use. I will retain the middle pickup but may switch to a standard single coil if that will be easier to configure.

Any ideas? (I will be thinking as well)

Thanks

sylvanshine
02-24-2006, 10:14 AM
If you can pull off what you want using the existing mini-switches than I say go for it. If it involves some wood work (i.e. switching over to a blade type switch) I say sell this one and get one that does what you want.

olectric
02-24-2006, 10:30 AM
I'd trade in the 3-way mini toggles for some 2-ways since your new HBs don't split. Or maybe you could use the 3-ways in an on/off/on fashion?

AndyT
02-24-2006, 02:40 PM
I certainly would never cut this beauty up! I would definately use all new electronics and mini toggles and save the original harness for the future, It would just drop back in and be like new.

I messed around with some ideas last night. Using the 2 way toggles for at least the Charlie single coil and standard humbucker may simplify things and do what I need.The middle pickup could stay "as is" and allow series or parallel use or it may make more sense to put in a single coil such as a VA and have them all on or off.

As far as the Blower switch, a 2 way could select the the preset from the 3 pup switches, like it does now. The bridge pickup could be wired to "blow" much as it does, but run through the volume/tone circuit, allowing for a quick switch to 2 sounds with the ability to controle volume and tone.

Any other ideas?

Maybe Tom could tell me what switches would be best?

tom
02-24-2006, 05:56 PM
if you just want to turn pickups on and off with a 2 way, you only need a spdt. i like to use both sides of a dpdt so there is a redundant switch in case of failure, and the dpdt is usually more available.

AndyT
02-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Gotcha Tom. Thanks, and I much appreciate the personal attention you give your customers.

edwarddavis
02-26-2006, 07:07 AM
Just buy another guitar and trade that one or keep it leave it alone and buy another guitar. Buy another guitar!!!!! :D

AndyT
02-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Just buy another guitar and trade that one or keep it leave it alone and buy another guitar. Buy another guitar!!!!! :D

If only life was that easy. ;)

Actually this guitar is a hollow T; basswood with a maple top and has a very "hollow" sound. I just think it cries for some fat single coil sounds.

I might put the "Charlie Christian in a humbucker package" in my parts Tele and get a set of Fralin P-92 split P90 pickups for something different. These are quiet and are supposed to sound pretty decent.

With all the great guitars I have I don't have any P90 style sounds at all.