PDA

View Full Version : New Koa HDTC Arrives!

Stan Malinowski
01-16-2004, 09:16 AM
My New (Old) Koa Hollow Drop Top Clasic arrived on Thursday! First the wait of shipping from TA in California to me in Connecticut was agonizing. Then the wait before I could open the case to see it was even worse! The UPS drive dropped off the guitar at about 1:00PM and it sat outise in 5 degree weather for about 4 hours until I could get home. I took the case out of the shipping box and had to let it sit there for about 3-4 hours before the case felt warm enough for me to open.

Was it worth the wait? You BET!!!!! The flame on this Koa is like none I have ever seen! The top came from Tom's personal wood stash back in 1996 when the guitar was built. Tom built the guitar for a friend of his, Brian Swerdfeger, who is a professional player in the LA area. The Koa top is on a hollow basswood body with a white pearloid pickguard which has yellowed slightly with time. It looks beautiful with the brown of the Koa and the gold hardware. The neck has a DARK rosewood board and..... NO fretmarkers on the board! Pickups are SA1R/SA1/H2+ with a switcharoo system.

Acoustically the guitar is LOUD and VERY resonant. Plugged into my Dr Z Maz 18 Jr the puppy sparkles on the neck pickup/middle pickup when split. The bridge bucker roars when you want it to, but cleans up prety nice when split in conjunction with the middle pickup. The guitar is a joy to play, I was quite surprised to find that I could easily manuver around the fretboard with just the guidance of the side dot markers.

I want to thank Brian Swerdfeger for parting with this work of art and Tom for putting the deal together since TA couldn't buld me a new Koa based guitar because of the deteriorating supply of Koa.

Here's a link to apicture of my new toy, can't wait until I get home tonight to play it!

1996 Koa HDTC (http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stanley.malinowski@snet.net/detail?.dir=/My+Andersons&.dnm=My+Koa+3+Resize.jpg)

Brad Scott
01-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Couldn't get the link to work, Stan. I'll try back in a bit. I'm sure it's a stunner.

Stan Malinowski
01-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Anyone alse have problems with the link?

BTW the picture can also be accessed via the "My Andersons" link at the end of my posts.

John Price
01-16-2004, 10:26 AM
No picture here! but I bet it's a beautiful guitar!
sometimes it's nice to get one back I know I have a few that I would like to find again!!!!

Stan Malinowski
01-16-2004, 10:43 AM
How about this link?

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stanley.malinowski@snet.net/detail?.dir=/My+Andersons&.dnm=My+Koa+3+Resize.jpg

ToneLounge
01-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Wow - that wait to open the case would have killed me!

Glad you're thrilled with the Koa HDTC. That guitar was a tremendous blessing to me, I'm glad it's found the right home. I wonder if the resonance comes from the fact that it was gigged and recorded as my main guitar for 6 years? It's been around the world twice!

In the fall i took delivery of my new baby - a Cobra Deluxe (3 mini HB) and could not be happier. It's quickly become my main guitar for live and recording.

All the best,
Brian

ToneLounge
01-16-2004, 10:45 AM
PS stans guitar is nealry imposible to photograph. That piece of Koa is so 3-dimensional it's crazy... am I right, stan?

B

Stan Malinowski
01-17-2004, 09:34 AM
B,

That piece of Koa DOES have serious 3-D movement. Pictures cannot come close to showing it. I'm sitting here on Saturday morning in my little studio as the early morning sun shines in thru the big window and am hypnotized as I watch the movement of the flame! Life is good!

Scott Peterson
01-18-2004, 12:57 AM
Congrats man! That is stellar!

Tom Gross
01-18-2004, 10:16 AM
That is gorgeous!