PDA

View Full Version : Gary McT- this one is for you...

sylvanshine
02-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Eddie Berman playing all the modules of the Egnater Mod 50 with an Atom. Great tones and tasty tasty playing.

http://www.indoorstorm.com/newsdesk_info.php?ndPath=7&newsdesk_id=187

GaryMcT
02-14-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm going to go watch this now, but I'm afraid. I've been hearing reports of the Egnater versions sounding better than the half-priced Randall versions.

olectric
02-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Just watched 'em (the ones with the Atom, anyway). Man, those sound good, but what doesn't sound good when Eddie plays through it? I don't know how the Egnater stuff works as their website is extremely lacking in information.

I saw a thread on the Gear Page where ToneLounge said he's using a Mod 50 head. Got some input for us?

GaryMcT
02-14-2006, 06:16 PM
If you have questions, I may have answers.

GaryMcT
02-14-2006, 06:20 PM
It's a shame that he didn't record the split neck and bridge setting on the Atom. . . it really shines especially with the vox module.

GaryMcT
02-14-2006, 06:21 PM
His EG3/EG4 recording with the Atom reminds me that I need to break out my old Egnater IE4 preamp and give it a whirl again. :)

olectric
02-14-2006, 06:26 PM
If you have questions, I may have answers.

Are they modeling amps, or what? How do the modules work? Are they like preamps that you plug into a power amp or ...?

GaryMcT
02-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Fortunately, I could watch this and not want to dump the Randall version of this that I have in trade for the Egnater version. The biggest difference between the Randall and Egnater versions is that the newer Egnater version have two channels per module where the Randall version has one (like the older Egnater stuff). All are designed by Bruce Egnater, but it seems the the Randall version is more "mass produced". The Randall version is very very nice. . .I've had a whole lot of folks hear my Drop Top and Atom with the Twin and Plexi modules on the Randall RM50B and say "wow, that's the nicest guitar tone I've heard". This combination is definitely far beyond my playing ability at this point. :) Hmmm, know any good guitar teachers in Seattle? :)

GaryMcT
02-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Are they modeling amps, or what? How do the modules work? Are they like preamps that you plug into a power amp or ...?

It's all tube. . no modelling. Each preamp has a couple of tubes in it, and I believe there is a common preamp tube (or so) in the amp. The power stage can either be EL34 or 6L6. . .you can swap them out and user rebias. Randall makes a rack poweramp that does both and is midi switchable between EL34 and 6L6.

One really good source of information is the Randall site. Take a look at the MTS series there. The Egnater version is basically the same thing, but handwired, two channels per module, and costs twice as much. You can actually use the Egnater modules in the Randall amp and vice versa, although you'll only get one channel when plugging the Egnater module into a Randall amp.

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/mts/index.asp