PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Classic 30--or ........

Allamricn
02-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Seems like a great little amp for my needs--Worship band. Small, lightweight,plenty of power, cost 400-450. Can anyone share ideas on amps that would be comparable--must be tubed. Also like to stay in the same price range. Thanks
Bob

funalij
02-11-2006, 05:16 AM
Hi Bob:

Another choices (in the same price range) could be a fender hot rod deluxe and koch studiotone.

Hot rod is a classic fender sound (the overdrive chanel isn't very good IMO, but the clean is good)
The studiotone sounds good but at high volume the clean channel lost definition (sound a little dirty)

You know, the best way is to play all and you will choose the best one for your taste.

Javier

killerburst
02-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Look for a Mesa Boogie Studio 22+ w/ EQ. I just put mine in a Mesa head box and paired it up with a THD 2x12. Even if you don't care for the classic Mark series Boogie lead sound (this is one of the best of that breed), the clean sound is very nice, breaks up beautifully when cranked and works great with pedals. I got mine last year for $400, including a complete set of new Mesa tubes. This is the first Boogie I've owned where I can just plug in and the sound is right without any knob twiddling.

guitarzan
02-11-2006, 10:22 AM
I was blown away by how good the Crate V-Series sounds. Guitar Center does a "Palomino" special edition with blonde tolex and gold accents and NO onboard FX. The V32 is 2 channels (plus an additional solo boost) and it's got reverb. And in my opinion, it absolutely kills the Peavey stuff because BOTH the clean and overdrive channels are really useable.

I was out the door at GC for $403 for a new one. You could do a little better on ebay for a used one.

The only problem is that to replace the tubes, you have to remove the speaker and/or chassis (if I remember correctly). I returned it shortly after I got it, but still would like to pick up another someday. It was nice knowing I had a giggable amp that could be replaced within a few hours if need be.

Also, do a search over at The Gear Page. There are a couple of threads where guys go into details about their experience with the V-Series. Just about everyone is surprised at how good they sound.

Stys
02-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Check eBay for used Mesa Subway Rockets or Subway Blues. Both are fine little amps.

HiG
02-11-2006, 05:21 PM
I played a Peavey Classic 50/410 for 10 years and NEVER had any kind of problem with it. For the money, a superb amp, IMHO.

RGN
02-12-2006, 06:02 PM
In that price range I don't think there is anything better. That amp is a great deal. I really, really like the Engl Screamer 50 combo but that thing with footswitch is going to be 3X the price.

billyguitar
02-13-2006, 04:40 PM
In your price range:
If you don't need channel switching any used Reverend amp would be better, I think. A Peavy Delta Blues is a pretty nice amp for the money. A used Gibson GA-15 is a good amp and plenty loud for a church band. A new Roland cube 60 is pretty nice for solid state.

Janine Doubly
02-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Another cool amp to find is the Orange AD15. They don't make it anymore, but a used one could be had for the $ you are looking to spend. Its basically an AC15 with a master and a Vintage 30 speaker. Single channel. Another good amp for the $, is the new Vox AC15 Custom Classics. Its not a super high quality amp, build wise, but for a new 15 watt, all tube Vox @ $599.00, its pretty cool and it sounds really good. Its as good, build wise, as any of the Peavey or Crate EL84 amps.

Allamricn
02-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate the info. I did look into a few of the options, but the cost factor prohibited some. Anyway, I came across a great deal on a '05 Classic 30 which I decided to give a try. It's worked really well for a couple of the guys, so I'm sure it'll be plenty !!! Thanks again
Bob