PDA

View Full Version : Option induced dizziness.

OSCAR ZOROASTER
01-31-2006, 09:17 PM
I find myself going round and round, and would be interested in opinions. I predominately desire classic strat sounds, but I certainly wouldn't mind having it all in one guitar. I would hate to get an all arounder and miss the main goal. I thought about a Classic but the eye candy of the DT makes me reconsider. So........
Can a drop top really do both the humbucker and single coil vibe? REALLY?
Hollow versus solid?
V vs S vs M? I want classic, but I worry about hum and the M favorable reviews leave me wondering.
Maybe I am better off going for more than one. What are your thoughts, for those of you with both? Thanks, Dave

sylvanshine
01-31-2006, 09:36 PM
My advice would be to not stray far from the design elements that make a great Strat- solid ash or alder, 3 single coils, 5 way switching, vintage trem, etc. I think when you get into Cobras, DTs and Atoms you are trying to get Strat/LP/Tele sounds all in one package. Don't get me wrong, these models are fantastic (and all I play BTW), but they were designed to give the best of several worlds in one super guitar.

dannopelli
01-31-2006, 10:30 PM
I have or have had them all.

And I am primarily a Strat player with all my Fender Strats CS 50's or 60's or a RI 50 or 60. So like you, I like classic Strat sounds.

To answer your question, for purely straight up classic sound sylvanshine is right. An alder or ash solid classic with VA's will come closest to a Strat sound. However be sure to note that it will sound a bit more modern. Which to be sure is a wonderful thing. Andy's have their own voice. They are not copy cats.

However, if you REALLY want an eye candy guitar that will come close with no hum then get a DT Classic with M1, M1, M2, B5 swithching and pull adds bridge. Get it with a 1 5/8 at least .30 over or 62 roundback. Maple neck or maple with rosewood fretboard. Solid alder body. I have that exact guitar. Or go for the same guitar with SA's. I have one of those too. And they both come close and are quiet.

Again this is JUST MY OPINION!

wreckfan
01-31-2006, 10:33 PM
I would also agree - an alder or ash strat with single coils would be the choice for straight out of the box strat-tones. Keep in mind however that the strat-style guitars achilles heel has always been the bridge pickup and that is where the maple on basswood really shines. I get really great vintage strat sounds on positions 2-5 and a nice full bridge sound on 1 !!

It is hard to decide whether to go for pure tone or a nice combination of the two. Personally - I like the combination of the two elements tone/looks. As far as the "hollow" issue there will be a lot of opinions on that....I have had both and prefer the sound and feel without the hollow chambers. I also think that Anderson makes the very best maple necks !! Of all my A's my favorite is my Drop-Top-Classic/ quilted maple on basswood/ maple neck with medium frets.....what an awesome guitar to play !!!

morty
02-01-2006, 02:44 AM
I also have a DT with Maple on Basswood and SD singels and a H2+, but I can not agree.. I have the Switcheroo system, and dont feel i`ve got the typical 2. position on a strat, and I feel that it don`t have the typical twang of a strat. I miss the chrispyness on the bass side, and feel the bass side is a bit dull. Of course the playability and articulation is much better than on my Fender. One thing I love with the SD, is when I use the HB and neckpicup , and bypass the middle.I got an almost LesPaul sound when turning down the toneknob. When using only the neckpickup, I almost get a Tele sound.
I think I would change the SD`s to VA`s or a pair of V60lp. Maby I get more strat tones out of tem.. Until then I have to use the Fender for real Strat tones! But I have to say I use my Anderson 95% of the time!

GaryMcT
02-01-2006, 04:48 PM
However, if you REALLY want an eye candy guitar that will come close with no hum then get a DT Classic with M1, M1, M2, B5 swithching and pull adds bridge. Get it with a 1 5/8 at least .30 over or 62 roundback. Maple neck or maple with rosewood fretboard. Solid alder body. I have that exact guitar. Or go for the same guitar with SA's. I have one of those too. And they both come close and are quiet.

I wish I knew someone with this config!!! I've heard M-series pickups in a classic and wasn't completely convinced for the sparkly clean stuff.

Would you say that a DT Classic with M's sounds closer to a Classic with V-series than a classic with M's does? I could see that happening if the differences "cancel out".

HiG
02-01-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm sure you've noticed that even the differences between the way each of us play makes an incredible difference tonally in any instrument. Whatever you end up deciding on, if you go the "Classic" (read pickguard) route, either droptop or solid, you will be able to configure it pretty much anyway you want, over and over again. The routing on the current classics, I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong), is now H-M-H, which allows you to fit practically any combination of pickups you would wish to try. With a regular Droptop, you are pretty much limited to the configuration you ordered it with. Another consideration (sorry) is a Mahogany back on a 25 1/2" scale guitar. It does add weight and adds some mid-LP vibe to the whole affair, but the single coil selections still sparkle. I have a droptop set up like this with an HO1-/HO1+ setup and it can get LP and Tele-like tones. Of course the strat-type stuff is absent.

wreckfan
02-01-2006, 10:25 PM
A lot has to do with what you are playing the guitar through. I went through a half dozen Fender Strats (including a beautiful burgundy mist custom-shop and my '89 Eric Clapton) and never did get that elusive strat-tone.

My new Drop-Top-Classic simply has "that sound" - especially in position #2.
But I have changed amps........humm?

OSCAR ZOROASTER
02-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the input so far. Wreckfan, how is your guitar set up? For those of you who have them, how much humm do you get with your V pickups? Can you pair a HB or M with a V?

wreckfan
02-02-2006, 10:15 PM
My DTC has the following pickups - SA1R / SA / H2+ with a 5 way switch and a mini bridge only split switch. By far the best setup, simple and easy. I never seemed to want to split the single coils - but did like to switch the bridge pickup so I ordered it this way.

GaryMcT
02-02-2006, 10:22 PM
My DTC has the following pickups - SA1R / SA / H2+ with a 5 way switch and a mini bridge only split switch. By far the best setup, simple and easy. I never seemed to want to split the single coils - but did like to switch the bridge pickup so I ordered it this way.

It's interesting to hear what other folks like. If I were to do anything on my drop top, I would make it so that the SA1's are always split. :)