PDA

View Full Version : Elixir Strings

Stan Malinowski
08-21-2003, 06:12 AM
I was wondering how many people keep using Elixir Strings on their Andersons after the original factory set?

Personally I find the factory installed set lasts a bit longer but I prefer the tone from D'Addario XL110. When the first set is history I move over to the D's.

John Price
08-21-2003, 07:22 PM
I end up setting the guitar up with a new set! D'Addario or GHS boomers 9-42's

Buckd
08-21-2003, 09:23 PM
I use the Elixers on my Cobra. I think they sound great, but not as bright as a new set of non-coated strings. Since I play a lot(12-15 gigs a month) the Elixers work out pretty well for me because they last considerably longer than plain strings. I don't want to think about changing stings every week or two.

Rockerbob
08-22-2003, 01:29 PM
I had started using Elixir 10s on all my electrics before I bought my Anderson, so yes, I am staying with the Elixir 10s. I use Nanowebs. They are a little closer to uncoated strings and I think I get plenty of high end out of them. Although I like Elixirs on acoustic guitar, I don't like them as well there so I use uncoated strings on acoustic guitars.

trpullen
08-23-2003, 12:04 AM
I was using Elixirs on everything but recently started breaking strings at the bridge on all my guitars. I think it is a technique thing. I switched to Ernie Ball till I find the problem....not worth the $$$ for Elixirs if I pop them when they are a couple hours old. Funny thing is that I have not broken one since changing brands....hmmmmmmmmmm.

Paychek
08-23-2003, 09:19 AM
Thats weird. I have a problem with string breakage from time to time with the elixers. I break E's and sometimes a B string. I replace them with ernie balls strings(keep extras in my case) cause the elixer singles cost way to much to replace. I don't seem to break hardly any eb strings. I would like to try other sets that are compatible or for that matter I wouldn't mind changing out regular sets every other week.
I mail order elixers from www.stringitup.com and I think they are around $9.42 a set, pretty sure this is the best price anywhere.

trpullen
08-23-2003, 11:11 AM
I have been breaking D or Gs. Go figure.

I have heard that Gore (Elixir) uses D'Addario strings for the acoustics but don't know what they use for electric stuff. All they do is coat them and repackage them. They are primarily a medical supplier.

John Price
08-24-2003, 10:01 AM
That is very interesting to know! :cool:

trpullen
08-24-2003, 03:17 PM
I love them on my Taylor 810. I love them on my Bass. Actually, I liked them on my electrics too but it was silly to pay extra for long life when I was breaking them all the time.

pluto
09-03-2003, 02:08 PM
I've been using Elixirs off and on for some time. The thing I hate about them is that they're so flat. They last a long time, but have no brightness or snap to them whatsoever. I just picked up a couple of GHS Infinity Steels-they're a lot brighter than the Elixirs, but I'm not sure if I like them better than Elixirs-at the very least, they are a lot cheaper. I tried the new long lasting DRs too-I didn't like them because they felt smaller and lighter than their listed gauge. It might be all in my mind, but it just seemed that way.