PDA

View Full Version : basswood -

6ca7
01-13-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm looking into many different wood combo's for a new guitar and notice that many like the basswood/maple top body combo. What is it that you like about this combo vs. others ??(Ash, Alder etc...).

Any comments are appreciated!

Thanks,
6ca7

Stan Malinowski
01-14-2004, 07:54 AM
Traditionaly most Anderson Drop Tops had basswood backs and the "original" TA Grand Am was basswood. Basswood was a very popular guitar wood beginning in the late 80's. Apparently the resonant frequency of basswood is very compatible with the frequency range of humbuckers. Roy told me a while back that over the last couple of years that TA is building more Drop Tops with mahoghany and alder backs. Basswood is still popular on DTs but the other woods are catching up in popularity.

A respected luthier once told me that basswood is best described as "tonaly neutral" and that more of the guitars tone was driven by pickup selection. Personally I prefer mahog or alder as the wood of choice for my guitars. This may be based on my preference for single coil pickups which seem to be not as compatible tonally with basswood - IMO - YMMV

pluto
01-14-2004, 05:42 PM
I loved my Hollow T that had a maple top over basswood body. It was very light and very resonant. Like Stan said, I've also heard basswood is supposed to be very neutral too. I think Suhr has stated he likes the basswood/maple top combination the most too (don't quote me, but I think I've read that). Funny thing is that some people associate basswood as being a cheap(er) wood alternative. I remember about 10 years ago, when I was looking at a G and L guitar, the dealer told me that G and L was a great quality guitar because it wasn't using basswood like other companies. So for years, I used to think basswood was for the Ibanez's of the world! Edit-by the way, I have nothing against Ibanez-they make great guitars too!

tom
01-14-2004, 08:46 PM
i'd have to say that we are making more alder backed guitars these days, especially hollow ones. i'd agree that basswood is more neutral tonaly. it is more expensive than alder, so i'm not sure where that rumor came from. being a cobra guy, mahogany is my personal fav, it's also a great wood to work with. i can't believe that the ibanez's were really basswood.

pluto
01-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by tom
i'd have to say that we are making more alder backed guitars these days, especially hollow ones. i'd agree that basswood is more neutral tonaly. it is more expensive than alder, so i'm not sure where that rumor came from. being a cobra guy, mahogany is my personal fav, it's also a great wood to work with. i can't believe that the ibanez's were really basswood.

Tom, a lot of Ibanez's models are made of basswood-at least so they claim. Just check out the musiciansfriend catalogs-I believe all the RG, JS and PGM models are basswood. Heck-I'll check the online catalog now. Yep-just checked-there's even a 150 dollar basswood model (GAX30)!! Who knows though?? BTW-shouldn't you be busy now! Good luck with NAMM-I just spoke to Michael O.-he's got his digital cam ready!!

tom
01-14-2004, 09:00 PM
you are correct, what i meant was that i don't belive they really are basswood, not calling anyone a liar, it's just that my ears tell me different. i just finished buffing my last guitar for the day and am off to the show tonite. roy and laurie are there and the booth is set up.

pluto
01-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Oh, I see. Heck, your ears are better than most, so I believe you when you have your doubts. Anyway, good luck again-I'm looking forward to seeing the latest creations coming from the Anderson factory for 2004!

6ca7
01-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks everyone for thier input as this helps my decision out a little more.

Thanks,
6ca7

oscar100
01-19-2004, 03:49 AM
just for info

my basswood maple drop top with p90s is teh most amazing combination!

:p

killerburst
01-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Traditionaly most Anderson Drop Tops had basswood backs and the "original" TA Grand Am was basswood.

Actually, the top-of-the-line Grand Am was a solid lacewood or figured maple version of the Pro Am. Most '80s Pro Ams that I've seen (and owned) were Floyd-equipped basswood bodies.

A little birdy told me that some of the old figured maple Grand Am body blanks are still available to make a Grand Am by special order. :D

killerburst
01-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by pluto
Tom, a lot of Ibanez's models are made of basswood-at least so they claim. Just check out the musiciansfriend catalogs-I believe all the RG, JS and PGM models are basswood. Heck-I'll check the online catalog now. Yep-just checked-there's even a 150 dollar basswood model (GAX30)!! Who knows though?? BTW-shouldn't you be busy now! Good luck with NAMM-I just spoke to Michael O.-he's got his digital cam ready!!

Here's my theory on Ibanez and basswood...

Prior to his affiliation with Ibanez, Steve Vai had a TA Pro Am that was custom made for him (even had a monkey grip). Amongst the slew of Jackson/Charvel, Performance, Guild, Fender, etc. guitars that Steve had, he felt the TA sounded the best (who could blame him). When he began negotiating with companies to build him a signature model, he used the TA as a benchmark, which is why he specified basswood for the Jem. Ibanez chose a Japanese wood with characteristics that they felt were similar enough to basswood, and told Steve that they were basswood. Once the Jem became a hit, Ibanez used their cheap, soft and readily-available in Japan "basswood" for everything. The rest is all marketing.

Just a theory- I could be way off base.

pluto
01-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by killerburst
Actually, the top-of-the-line Grand Am was a solid lacewood or figured maple version of the Pro Am. Most '80s Pro Ams that I've seen (and owned) were Floyd-equipped basswood bodies.

A little birdy told me that some of the old figured maple Grand Am body blanks are still available to make a Grand Am by special order. :D

That's funny you mention this. While surfing the net, I saw a 1988 Anderson Grand Am with maple body and floyd. I couldn't remember the last time I've ever seen one of those floating around in the market. I love the sight of the old Anderson headstock too-to me, the old one looks cooler than the current one.

tom
01-29-2004, 11:51 PM
cooler? maybe cause it looks more like a fender.at least that's what they thought, made us change it.

6ca7
01-30-2004, 03:19 AM
Tom,

Why the switch to more alder backs these days vs. the basswood backs besides cost of wood? Was the cost really ever an issue or does the basswood backed/maple top really give a unique sound?

I currently have a Hollow T (Swamp Ash back/Maple top - maple w pao ferro board). I like it but there is just not enough oomph for me for me at times. Would the basswood/maple top be the same way or would something like a Cobra be better for that?

Thanks,
6ca7

oscar100
01-30-2004, 03:26 AM
maple and bassswood seems to me to have a very specific 'non ' sound

i just got a cobra with p90s and compard it to my drop t with p90 ( basswood /maple)

teh mahogany of teh cobra has more overtones some how but the drop t is clean clear less interesting when playing clean and really excels once you get into gain territory - really tight punchy in yer face

:p

pluto
01-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by tom
cooler? maybe cause it looks more like a fender.at least that's what they thought, made us change it.

Yeah, actually that's exactly why I liked the old headstock better. Everytime I pick up the 1st Michael Campese CD, I see that old Anderson headstock and wish Fender didn't make you guys change it.

michaelomiya
01-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by pluto
That's funny you mention this. While surfing the net, I saw a 1988 Anderson Grand Am with maple body and floyd. I couldn't remember the last time I've ever seen one of those floating around in the market. I love the sight of the old Anderson headstock too-to me, the old one looks cooler than the current one.

absolutely. the bowling ball finish, black hardware, floyd, colored fret markers, why it's like 1987 all over again! (I can hear the growning from tom, roy and all of the guys at the shop, right now!!:D )

pluto
01-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
absolutely. the bowling ball finish, black hardware, floyd, colored fret markers, why it's like 1987 all over again! (I can hear the growning from tom, roy and all of the guys at the shop, right now!!:D )

What? It's not 1987? :confused: :D Heck, with all those 80's remakes-No Doubt doing Talk Talk, that other band doing Henley, etc., and VH1 bringing back the bands, you'd think it was still the 80's!

tom
01-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Why the switch to more alder backs these days vs. the basswood backs besides cost of wood? Was the cost really ever an issue or does the basswood backed/maple top really give a unique sound?
cost is never a factor for us, the difference is insignificant when you consider the total cost of the guitar. alder is a bit fatter and less "neutral" sounding.

I currently have a Hollow T (Swamp Ash back/Maple top - maple w pao ferro board). I like it but there is just not enough oomph for me for me at times. Would the basswood/maple top be the same way or would something like a Cobra be better for that?
the ash and hollow work in the same direction, which does scoop the middle some. that is probably what you are hearing. if a bit will help, hollow alder would be cool. if you want way more fat middle, you can't beat a cobra.

6ca7
01-30-2004, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the info Tom. I'll give the Cobra a try as it might be more of what I'm looking for tonewise.

Thanks,
6ca7