PDA

View Full Version : How many of you buy online?

pluto
01-13-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm just wondering how many of you buy stuff online either through internet stores or through the various forums. Personally, I've been doing so over the last couple of years, but lately have been rethinking my purchasing habits. Why? Primarily, at least with guitars, I'm really picky with the feel of guitars (especially the neck) and it's sometimes difficult to gauge what kind of neck you're getting. Case in point-I've played tons of PRS wide fat necks-I've felt some that were absolutely wonderful, and then again, I've played ones that I didn't care for. I recently sold an Anderson HDTC on the internet. WhenI bought it, I didn't know how the +.030 oversize would feel, but I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. Boy, did it make a difference. Even amps-I've played two amps, same brand, same model, and one of them actually sounded better in my opinion (and everyone else's opinion who heard the A/B test). In any case, that's just my thought of the day. Funny, how while I'm saying this, I'm wondering if I should buy a GMW Schenker replica (never heard or seen), a McCarty (owned one and loved it, played many and did not like most of them!), a Custom 22 (never played any of them period), a new Anderson (koa top-I've never played a koa top guitar), or a Splawn modded Marshall amp (heard the EL-34 version, not the KT-88 version)!!!!!

dpeterson
01-13-2004, 07:53 PM
i buy everything online. as far as andersons, i have 5, two hollow dt's, 1 dt classic, 1 hollow dt classic, and i just got an alder classic with the 62 roundback. All the others except one have the standard carve, the other is +.30. I prefer the standard carve over the others, but the change is nice, the 62 roundback feels meaty.

I guess if i think about it, i've taken a lot of chances on guitars over the net. I bought my first anderson without ever playing one, something told me it would just kick ass, and luckily it did. You can always sell the stuff if you dont like it is the way i look at it, and if you buy at a good price, you should break even or take a minimal loss. I'm in Ohio, and we dont have jack around here for music stores, it's pretty pathetic, so i rely on the internet to find good stuff.

Dave

michaelomiya
01-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by pluto
I'm just wondering how many of you buy stuff online either through internet stores or through the various forums. Personally, I've been doing so over the last couple of years, but lately have been rethinking my purchasing habits. Why? Primarily, at least with guitars, I'm really picky with the feel of guitars (especially the neck) and it's sometimes difficult to gauge what kind of neck you're getting. Case in point-I've played tons of PRS wide fat necks-I've felt some that were absolutely wonderful, and then again, I've played ones that I didn't care for. I recently sold an Anderson HDTC on the internet. WhenI bought it, I didn't know how the +.030 oversize would feel, but I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. Boy, did it make a difference. Even amps-I've played two amps, same brand, same model, and one of them actually sounded better in my opinion (and everyone else's opinion who heard the A/B test). In any case, that's just my thought of the day. Funny, how while I'm saying this, I'm wondering if I should buy a GMW Schenker replica (never heard or seen), a McCarty (owned one and loved it, played many and did not like most of them!), a Custom 22 (never played any of them period), a new Anderson (koa top-I've never played a koa top guitar), or a Splawn modded Marshall amp (heard the EL-34 version, not the KT-88 version)!!!!!

Mark, I will second your opinion regarding buying "sight unseen". In the past I've purchased a Maxon AD900 (analog delay), Keeley DS1 Ultra Mod, yards of George L cable, Evidence Audio Lyric and Siren cables, old Marshalls, Boogies and 3 preamps on-line (H-C, Musicians Friend :mad:, ebay, etc). In every single case, I purchased without playing or hearing. The major CAVEAT, was that I did what you're doing - seeking opinions of those that have, or have owned the aforementioned items.

The one exception to the rule is guitars. For some reason, I cannot purchase used guitars, except after I play them. Consistency, build-quality, aesthetics, etc. - I just can't seem to risk all that!:D

And from what I know about the Hawaii guitar market, I can't picture C&K, Hapa, or Keali'i Reichel, playing Andersons, PRS', or GMW Replicas!!;) So availability is an issue. In which case you'd be justified in doing exactly what you're doing - researching, and buying (w/o playing). What's an 80's shred monster to do?!? (actually, Willie K might play an Anderson!)

I think Anderson's are about the only guitar that I'd be willing to risk $$$ (on w/o playing).

Goodluck w/ that Schenker V!:p

JoeB63
01-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Some other wise sage once said: "Buy used, play for free." This is usually my strategy. And I tell my wife that I didn't actually spend our money to buy that new(used) guitar, I just transfered some assets on our balance sheet (from the cash entry to the capital goods entry).

For instance Pluto, I bought your HDTC knowing full well that I might not like it, but I'm pretty sure I can get my investment back if that's the case. I might even love it, play it for a few years, and then be able to sell it for more than I paid. Hey, wouldn't that be great. It's happened to me before.

I guess the worst strategy is to buy new stuff over the Internet (or custom ordered) unless you have a trial period. I've wasted lots of $$ buying new items sight-unseen, sound-unheard. Then again, since tastes do change, I've also ended up selling about 10 guitars that I bought in stores (plus used guitars that I bought in person). So trying before you buy is no guarantee of longevity either.

The biggest problem that most of high-end gear lovers have is limited availability of nice stuff in local stores. My city (Austin) has one Anderson dealer, no Suhr, No Baker (when they were still around), no Two Rock, No Aiken, no Carr, no McInturff, no Melancon, etc. We have one dealer that has Grosh (but only 3 in stock at very high prices), many PRSs (but priced way too high), and a few, overpriced Gibson Historics. After that we're stuck with Guitar Center and a few shops that just carry cheap. low-end garbage. So that leaves the Internet.

enr1co
01-14-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by michaelomiya

And from what I know about the Hawaii guitar market, I can't picture C&K, Hapa, or Keali'i Reichel, playing Andersons, PRS', or GMW Replicas!!;) So availability is an issue. In which case you'd be justified in doing exactly what you're doing - researching, and buying (w/o playing). What's an 80's shred monster to do?!? (actually, Willie K might play an Anderson!)

Michael,

I could definitely see Willie K playing one! IMHO, He and
Barry Flanagan are two of the best players Ive heard
within current Hawaii music.

Pluto,

Sorry to go off topic - but speaking of Andersons in
Hawaii, are you familiar with any other
sorta famous (within Hawaii music circles) Anderson players in the islands besides yourself?

A buddy of mine gigged w/ Bryan Kessler ( Hawaiian Style Band)
and thought he saw him with one.

I could imagine if Jake Shimabukuro plays guitar
he would be at home with an Anderson :)

Hmmm, just a thought- Wouldnt an Anderson
"crowdster style" koa top ukulele be cool ! :D

Sorry folks, its getting late:p

Stan Malinowski
01-14-2004, 08:12 AM
I pretty much do all of my purchases online or by phone. The lack of quality stores in my area probably drives this decision - Sam Ash and Guitar Center is really about it. A couple of "higher" end stores are about 35-60 miles away with good brands, but limited inventory.

The quality on-line dealers, like Magdons, will typically give you a 2 day or so evaluation period on guitars. With Andersons I guess I am lucky I have found the neck carve and other characteristics I like (need).

I will also do what Joe does - try to find a reasonably priced used model. Many times I use this to find what I like and what I will change before I spend the extra $$$ to custom order new. Buy wise used and most likely you can get back the price you paid.

enr1co
01-14-2004, 09:55 AM
I buy on line for most all the reasons that Stan outlined.

In addition, the sales tax avoidance buying from
out of state usually outweighs the shipping cost
even if returning after evaluation period.

e

pluto
01-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by enr1co
Michael,

I could definitely see Willie K playing one! IMHO, He and
Barry Flanagan are two of the best players Ive heard
within current Hawaii music.

Pluto,

Sorry to go off topic - but speaking of Andersons in
Hawaii, are you familiar with any other
sorta famous (within Hawaii music circles) Anderson players in the islands besides yourself?

A buddy of mine gigged w/ Bryan Kessler ( Hawaiian Style Band)
and thought he saw him with one.

I could imagine if Jake Shimabukuro plays guitar
he would be at home with an Anderson :)

Hmmm, just a thought- Wouldnt an Anderson
"crowdster style" koa top ukulele be cool ! :D

Sorry folks, its getting late:p

Barry Flanagan is definitely a monster-I haven't seen him play in a long time, but he's got major chops galore. I haven't seen any "famous" people in Hawaii with Andersons, but then again I haven't really followed the local scene. My local Anderson dealer plays his old Anderson with his two bands one of which has the coolest band name-Buddhist Priest! There's one other guy I know who does gig and has an Anderson, but he's not really famous. Tom A. has local ties-maybe he knows some famous guys here who play Andersons. Crowdster ukulele??-that would be pretty cool!

pluto
01-14-2004, 12:15 PM

The one exception to the rule is guitars. For some reason, I cannot purchase used guitars, except after I play them. Consistency, build-quality, aesthetics, etc. - I just can't seem to risk all that!:D

I think Anderson's are about the only guitar that I'd be willing to risk $$$ (on w/o playing).

Goodluck w/ that Schenker V!:p

I would definitely second those statements you made-Anderson is one of the few guitars that I would buy unseen. Why? Because they are unbelievably consistent. I'm familiar with certain aspects of their guitars, including pickup choices, so it's pretty easy to order an Anderson online, while fully knowing what you're going to get-a great guitar. With the hollow drop top classic I sold Joe, one of the problems was that I was completely unfamiliar with the slightly oversized neck. I'm comfortable with the TA standard and the Cobra standard, but not familiar or comfortable with the other neck sizes. The other thing to, and I think Oscar on this forum started a thread on this, is that some guitars, even Andersons, have the mojo. Finding those guitars with that special "je ne sais quoi" is difficult if bought without playing them.

pluto
01-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by JoeB63
I guess the worst strategy is to buy new stuff over the Internet (or custom ordered) unless you have a trial period. I've wasted lots of $$ buying new items sight-unseen, sound-unheard. Then again, since tastes do change, I've also ended up selling about 10 guitars that I bought in stores (plus used guitars that I bought in person). So trying before you buy is no guarantee of longevity either.

The biggest problem that most of high-end gear lovers have is limited availability of nice stuff in local stores. My city (Austin) has one Anderson dealer, no Suhr, No Baker (when they were still around), no Two Rock, No Aiken, no Carr, no McInturff, no Melancon, etc. We have one dealer that has Grosh (but only 3 in stock at very high prices), many PRSs (but priced way too high), and a few, overpriced Gibson Historics. After that we're stuck with Guitar Center and a few shops that just carry cheap. low-end garbage. So that leaves the Internet.

Joe, I'm totally guilty of buying new stuff unheard/unseen. It's a disease!! I totally agree too-that playing stuff before buying is no guarantee of longevity especially with those afflicted with GAS. And we all know, all of us are addicted to gear! As far as your last thoughts-I'm really surprised Austin doesn't have a lot of hi end stuff-I always thought the Austin music scene was huge and therefore, there would be tons of options available for you guys.

michaelomiya
01-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by enr1co
In addition, the sales tax avoidance buying from
out of state usually outweighs the shipping cost
even if returning after evaluation period.

e

E, now isn't that the truth!!!:cool:

Gotta admit that no tax and negotiating the shipping costs are 2 reasons I tend to buy on-line.

In fact, I just rec'd a Boss TU2 and a Digitech Digiverb pedal from Brian, both of which I purchased without ever testing....excuse me, yes I do have GAS!!!:D :D ;)

JoeB63
01-14-2004, 05:29 PM
As far as your last thoughts-I'm really surprised Austin doesn't have a lot of hi end stuff-I always thought the Austin music scene was huge and therefore, there would be tons of options available for you guys.

Yes, there a a million guitar players in Austin, but remember two things:

1. This is Texas, so most players are pretty set on Fender Strats and Teles.

2. There are many, many bands in Austin, most trying to make it big, so these are not guys making a lot of $$. These guys can't typically afford big dollar guitars. Which leaves the Doctor and lawyer and tech exec business types as customers for high-end guitars and amps. And since we're a pretty small city for business compared to NY, LA, SF, Chicago, etc. there's not a big demand for high-end stuff.

pluto
01-14-2004, 05:36 PM

2. There are many, many bands in Austin, most trying to make it big, so these are not guys making a lot of $$. These guys can't typically afford big dollar guitars. Which leaves the Doctor and lawyer and tech exec business types as customers for high-end guitars and amps. And since we're a pretty small city for business compared to NY, LA, SF, Chicago, etc. there's not a big demand for high-end stuff.

Ah, I see. Makes sense. BTW-did you get the guitar yet?

nickdahl
01-14-2004, 06:44 PM
You guys nailed all the major arguments for buying online.

I can't add anything but "ditto."

Nick

JoeB63
01-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Ah, I see. Makes sense. BTW-did you get the guitar yet?

It's coming today, but I'm out of town until tomorrow night.

-CM-
02-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Interesting - I've seen this this topic discussed on all of the forums I visit. Usually, the consensous is toward buying in person instead of online. Sometimes it's heavily tilted to only buying a guitar after you've tried a million of them. I'm definitely in the online camp. (I live about 3 blocks away from a Guitar Center, but I can't stand to even go in there.) I've had a lot of guitars come my way in the last year, and only 4 of them have had to go back. Two were flawed, and 2 just didn't do anything for me. Everything else has been a keeper, and I expect that my latest aquisition (http://www.cmwebsite.com/images/AndersonTstorepic2.jpg) will be also.

pcbb
02-05-2004, 02:19 AM
Nice Andy CM. :)

sylvanshine
02-07-2004, 02:44 PM
In fact, I just rec'd a Boss TU2 and a Digitech Digiverb pedal from Brian, both of which I purchased without ever testing

I'm much more likely to buy accessories online. Something as personal as a guitar, IMO, is a different story.

That being said, I've bought guitars online, so who am I kidding? :D

sylvanshine
02-07-2004, 02:48 PM

It isn't any better in Dallas. Just more doctors, lawyers and execs per capita. Still, so many amps I want to hear and no where to try them- Two Rock, Aiken, Guytron, Diezel, et al. Forums like these are SO important to do your research and then take a leap of faith.