PDA

View Full Version : My poor Atom! (and jumbo frets?)

GaryMcT
01-15-2006, 10:31 PM
I've been saying that I want to send my Atom in to get refretted with Jumbo SS frets since I love them so much on my Drop Top. I may have accidentally forced this issue. My Atom had an accident recently when a guitar stand fell over. It wasn't hurt at all except that the string side of the neck landed on a pedal on the floor. The fingerboard is untouched, and the neck seems fine, but the strings pushed hard enough to cause dents in a few frets. This really sucks when bending, etc. :(

I'm thinking that I should send it in for a once over after this accident. I've noticed that there aren't many Atoms going out (at least on GOTW) that have jumbo frets compared to the other models. Is there any reason why an Atom is less appropriate for jumbo frets compared to the other models (especially a Drop Top, which I love them on)?

Sixx
01-16-2006, 10:30 AM
I have played an Atom with Jumbos that they gaveat Charley's and it kicks butt. My two Atoms both have the heavy frets. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go jumbos.

The only issue I could think of would only apply to those who like super low action. I have noticed that the Atom is a bit harder to dial in low like a Pro-Am or Drop Top. I think it may be a combination of the tilit neck angle and the tail piece. With heavies, I am on the verge of fretting out as I move past fret 12 toward the heel (for me the action is just right). I would imagine the jumbos might exacerbate the possibility of fretting out as you move down past fret 12 a bit more.

sylvanshine
01-16-2006, 11:28 AM
exacerbate
Bert, will you be my Scrabble partner?

tom
01-16-2006, 12:25 PM
fret size should not affect how the setup goes, except the taller frets will be more sensitive to your touch. as for the ratio of jumbos, we still don't do very many on any models. just did a sweet t classic for steve carr with jumbos in return for the killer 11 watt hammerhead he did for me.

tom
01-16-2006, 12:26 PM
as for atom setup, not having idividual height adjustment for each saddle makes it trickier to dial in. also since mahogany necks are not as stiff, touch is again an issue.

GaryMcT
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Tom, who should I bug about getting my Atom worked on? Bruce?

tom
01-16-2006, 06:15 PM
if you know it needs work, you can just send it in. we will be at namm this week, so it would not get touched till next week. if you have questions about what to do you can call bruce. he's here in the afternoons, or email me.

GaryMcT
01-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Tom, would you please PM me your email address?

Thanks!
Gary

tom
01-16-2006, 11:32 PM
it's on the website, no secret, aguitars at earthlink dot net