PDA

View Full Version : Did the Atom pickup config Pepsi Challenge

GaryMcT
01-08-2006, 12:07 AM
NW Guitars got a H1-/H2+ Atom in (12-22-05A), so I compared it to my Atom, which has M1/M1/H2.

The middle setting is really good on the H/H Atom. When split, it's softer and more jangly/scooped compared to the M/M/H Atom. When not split, the H/H is what you would expect from a Les Paul. Note that the middle split position on the H/H is hum cancelling. On the M/M/H, the hum canceling mode is somewhere between the 2 modes on the H/H. On the H/H, the non-hum cancelling mode is more jangly and scooped than the hum cancelling, but isn't quite as jangly/scooped as the H/H. The volume is more consistent between different settings on the M/M/H Atom.

I can't decide which configuration I like better. I might lean a little bit towards the H/H since my favorite sound on that guitar is hum-cancelling. If I were to get another Atom, I'd likely get a hollow H/H one with a bigsby so that it is quite a bit different than the one that I have.

Dave K
01-08-2006, 02:06 PM
I wonder how many people have tried the M/M/H version Atom and were confused by what was being switched? I know when I see three pickups and a five way switch, I think standard strat switching. It really confused me on position two when I was expecting a neck/middle tone!

One more observation (sorry for the thread hijack ;) ), but are the Atoms specifically getting lightweight mahogany? Or is it the species used in general?

tom
01-08-2006, 04:20 PM
i knew some would be confused, but there are sounds a strat does not do and i wanted them to be more accessable, and it certainly is not a strat.
we have been very fortunate to get special treatment by our mahogany supplier, and our mahogany as a whole has been wonderfully light.

GaryMcT
01-08-2006, 04:35 PM
. . also, the strat second position would likely be too dark on an Atom.