PDA

View Full Version : Which WAH Would You Choose?

chadmj
01-06-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm in the process of looking a new wah. Currently I've got a Hendrix Cry Baby that I've been borrowing. I like it, but, then sometimes I don't like it. It is not true bypass but I am sure there is DIY mod out there for that. I don't think I'll go with the Hendrix Cry Baby on my wah purchase.

So, the question is... what is the best wah do potentially fit any style? (other then the FullTone Clyde)

tom
01-06-2006, 08:43 PM
love the rmc, fat and never too shrill.

olectric
01-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Never played an RMC, but I really like the Bud-Wah. I actually really like its full range. It's the first wah I've ever played that isn't too shrill on the top end AND isn't too muddy or bassy on the bottom. MF has some soundclips if you're interested.

dannopelli
01-06-2006, 11:47 PM
I have been very happy with the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. Does the Cry baby thing really well, and gets two other sounds that are cool in their own right. Plus it has a volume control which is handy if you want to level or boost your wah volume.

chadmj
01-07-2006, 11:09 AM
RMC is new to me. I see different versions (RMC1, RMC2, RMC3...) and I understand the differences between them. I can only assume these are put together with reliability... are the knobs good on them (meaning it would take a lot for them to break off)?
Okay, that sounds like a stupid question after typing. :D
Looks to me that the RMC2 might be a good place to start looking for this manufacturer?

sonsop
01-07-2006, 02:31 PM
RMC is new to me. I see different versions (RMC1, RMC2, RMC3...) and I understand the differences between them. I can only assume these are put together with reliability... are the knobs good on them (meaning it would take a lot for them to break off)?
Okay, that sounds like a stupid question after typing. :D
Looks to me that the RMC2 might be a good place to start looking for this manufacturer?

That a great Teese place to start. That or the Picture Wah. I own a RMC2 and it has a lot of great & functional features; the best part is the smooth travel and super comy trad shape.

I think he makes the best Wah. Fuller Clyde's are very nice & well made, also. I prefer the Teese...

crash
01-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Chad - I just did a week-long gig in Minneapolis for a conference up there and got to A/B a Clyde standard (mine) with an RMC1 (borrowed).

Both sounded great. The Clyde's voicing is very Vox-like and sounds great on cleaner, wicky-chicky stuff. The RMC1 had a lower, fatter voicing and was much better for distorted sounds.

I know Teese's site says the RMC1 is voiced for single coils but it sounded great with hums as well.

Since you sort of know where I live, just let me know and you can try the Clyde. I'm going to sit on it for a while but I'll probably move it to get an RMC1 because it's a better fit for what I wanted it for.

tom
01-08-2006, 12:52 AM
+1 on the distortrd sounds of the rmc1, it's soooo vowel like, and the slight volume boost really helps on solos.i also really like it with humbuckers.

John Price
01-08-2006, 10:57 AM
My vote is for the Fulltone clyde deluxe! 3 great modes and a volume boost! Plus true bypass and a longer sweep heel to toe!..... :)

tom
01-08-2006, 04:22 PM
it's weird, when i started my search, i was looking for an old colortone wah, i remember liking the tone, but also liking the longer throw. i ended up never finding one so i tried the fulltone because of the longer throw. i ended up not liking the extra travel. go figure.

chadmj
01-09-2006, 11:19 AM
i ended up not liking the extra travel. go figure.

What did you not like about it? What style of music were you playing... or just any style?

tom
01-09-2006, 11:40 AM
the extra travel was not a plus for me. i'm not sure how to describe the sound other than the teese was more alive, the clyde sounded flatter with less harmonic stuff. wahs very much interact with the guitar, so results will vary for sure. the clyde sounded more funk and the teese sounded more rock. lame i know, but i'm not a wacka wacka rythm guy, and the teese just worked better for single note stuff for me.

crash
01-09-2006, 01:46 PM
...the clyde sounded more funk and the teese sounded more rock...
+1.

Has anyone played with the internal trim control on the Clyde? Can you give it any more low end/midrange?

dannopelli
01-10-2006, 02:09 AM
Like Tom says its all personal. I find the Clyde Deluxe actually is more alive and brighter than the regular Clyde! Go figure.

I like the extra travel because you can kind of dive into notes. That is a physical thing that you may or may not like.

But again it is all personal.

From a sonic perspective, your combination of guitar and amp and other pedals will be a HUGE factor. For example, will you be using amp distortion or pedals, compression, an FX loop for delays and chorus and such?

You really won't go wrong with the Teese or Fulltone. They are all great stuff!

Danno

sean
01-25-2006, 08:39 AM
In my opinion I liked the Teese RMC(Wizard Wah) better than the Fulltone Clyde.However,after owning over a dozen wah pedals(all at once) I found the old 70's Thomas Organ Crybaby with the stack of dimes inductor to be the one that stood head and shoulders above all the rest.It just has that sound and feel.Very familiar and warm.No true bypass(a true bypass switch can be used),no extra travel(I did not like the extra travel some wahs have)no fancy colors,just great warm true vintage wah tone that is never shrill.I now only have two Thomas Organ Crybaby pedals.The rest were sold.If I had to choose a new(non-vintage) wah pedal it would be the TeeseRMC Wizard Wah.

ctoddrun
01-25-2006, 09:17 AM
A year ago I was in the same, "which wah" market.

I settled on the Wizard.

I've never been a big wah user, but the cover songs we were doing at the time (and some of them that are still in the set-list) have wah, so I've used it for about a year... or more.

The only other "wah" experience I had before that was the wah that was built into my Zentera.

The major niggle I have about the Wizard is the lack of travel (or throw? I suppose).

The Zen "wah" gave you a lot more room to negotiate the sound, whereas the Wizard seems to only give you about an inch of travel before you are maxed in either direction.

I cant say I like that all that much, but maybe I'm getting used to it.

A wah purchase is something that is sort of constantly in the back of my mind... replacing it with one that gives me a bit more range.

crash
01-31-2006, 09:14 AM
A footnote to the WAH search...

Bought an RMC1 and a Clyde standard. Spent 2 hours with them both with various guitars with both singles and hums. The RMC1 still has more roundess and is fuller but has a shorter sweep. Used with hums and a darker amp EQ, it could get little muddy - I see why Teese says it is voiced for singles.

The Clyde has a nice high-end that makes it pop out of a mix, but didn't have the fullness - at least not out of the box. It has an internal trim pot and you can change the voice of the effect. Between that and adjusting the (longer) sweep, we got it to a happy medium point between the factory Clyde settings and the RMC1 vibe.

They will never be the same, of course, and both sounded great. The Clyde felt like a better long term fit because of the tweakability, so the Clyde stays and the RMC1 got sold.

chadmj
01-31-2006, 05:03 PM
This is all good stuff to go on. Thanks for the posts.

Another wah that kind of gets my attention is HIWATT® Custom Wah Pedal.
Taken from http://www.hiwatt.com: "...features a variable Q control, hardwired true bypass, ultra-quiet function..."

Anyone have any knowledge of this... er, maybe, look into it or stay away from it?

... still searching