PDA

View Full Version : Replacement 12" Speakers - HELP!!!

chasyboy
01-05-2006, 01:53 PM
OK...I recently got a '60's Bandmaster Amp and 2 x 12 cabinet and would like to replace the speakers. Been doing some hunting around and have not had luck buying the Reverend All Tone (not made anymore, I think) but have read that Tom likes the Cannibas Rex speakers. I like Celestion V-30's but most people say go Jensen for more Fender sounding...

I'm not looking to spend a mint (I have Kendrick Black Frames in my '66 Twin Reverb) as this amp will be more of a workhorse.

Let me know of your speaker experiences that might apply to my need, please.

LonestarGtr
01-06-2006, 04:00 PM
I've never tried them myself, but some buddies of mine use Weber speakers in their Fenders and say that they're much warmer and better than Jensens. I also have a late 60's Bandmaster Reverb that I got a combo cabinet for so I'll probably be picking up a Weber to put in it.

Mike

billyguitar
01-06-2006, 05:45 PM
I think there are better choices than the 'ice-picky' Jensens. I have an alnico Tone Tubby in my Dr Z Maz 38 and I think it's the most neutral speaker I've ever heard. The down side is they are expensive. I'd say try the Cannabis Rex. It uses the Tone Tubbie cone.

Woodash
01-06-2006, 07:34 PM
The 60's Bandmasters came with original Jensen C12Ns. I would think that they're not too shabby.

I run a modern Jensen alnico (P12N) and a Celestion Blue in a tweed amp and it works great for me (you'd probably need something other than a Blue in your 40w amp - a Weber Blue Dog could work). I guarantee you: creamy smooth all the way to the top. Mixing speakers is something you might want to think about.

BFC
01-08-2006, 10:32 PM
The Eminence Texas Heat is fantastic sounding. Like a vintage C12N on steroids with a little Celestion thrown in for good measure. Handles clean to cranked equally well. Very affordable. I think these are the best deal going. Easily my favorite twelve.

Janine Doubly
01-09-2006, 10:03 AM
If you like Celestion V30's, go ahead and put them in. Brian Setzer uses V30's in his Bassman cabs, so Celestions are not just for Marshalls. The only thing that may be an issue is the amount of screw mounts on the Fender cab. Does it have 4 or 8? If 8, you'll have to find a Fender-like speaker to put in the cab. Celestions have only four mounting holes.

chasyboy
01-09-2006, 04:58 PM
I appreciate all your input.

Peace,

Chasyboy