PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Specials?

andersonguy
12-30-2005, 01:00 AM
You dont see many P-90 Cobras around, seems like a great combination to me. I suppose the M's have pushed the P-90's back a bit? Still I think M's and P-90's are very different beasts.
Been gassing for a P-90 Cobra. :rolleyes:

RC

kccheers
12-30-2005, 08:35 AM
RC, funny you should post this. I just received a reply from Roy about some questions I had regarding this same guitar. We worked out the specs and I am going to Mass Street Music to order with them. I am going with a Cobra S Special , Mahogany body, Tobacco Burst, Fixed Bridge, 2 P 90's.

Cheers from KC

tom
12-30-2005, 10:25 AM
agreed that m's and p90's are different. i think lots of people want to play p90's, but in this higher gain hum concious world it is harder than it would seem for most to make it work.

bluesman69
12-30-2005, 10:40 AM
How do you think the M's and P90s would sound mixed? I am thinking about ordering one with M's in the Neck & Bridge and a P90 in the middle.

tom
12-30-2005, 10:57 AM
you would think they would be pretty compatible, but i have heard only one guitar, and they did not go well together. the p90 sounded very dark compared to the m's. if you had specific application it might work, but it did not sound usable to me.

bluesman69
12-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks Tom! I trust your opinion!

LonestarGtr
12-30-2005, 12:02 PM
I just have to +1 on p90's. My Cobra w/3 p90's is my most versatile and comfortable guitar to play. My Hollow T is still my baby, but if I could only take one guitar to a gig, it'd be the 3 p90 Cobra. The out of phase strat sounds are awesome and the bridge pu can emulate a tele or an almost humbucker tone depending on your pedals.

Mike

enr1co
12-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Hi Tom,

Speaking of cobra specials...

I missed out on this one. (http://williesguitars.com/index.cfm?sector=user&page=detail&prodID=986) ;(

Do you anticipate any more korina to build with?

Happy new year!

enrico

tom
12-30-2005, 01:23 PM
it's out there, but i haven't been looking hard for it. it is expensive, not beautiful and i personally don't think it sounds good/different enough to warrent it.

kccheers
12-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Mike, having played this guitar already, what benefit or differences do you see with the 3 p-90s vs the 2?

Cheeres from KC

andersonguy
12-30-2005, 06:06 PM
RC, funny you should post this. I just received a reply from Roy about some questions I had regarding this same guitar. We worked out the specs and I am going to Mass Street Music to order with them. I am going with a Cobra S Special , Mahogany body, Tobacco Burst, Fixed Bridge, 2 P 90's.

Cheers from KC
Sounds like a great one. Cant wait to see it when you get it.
There are nothing like P-90's,
If you are good with your volume pedal or knob, you can deal with the hum in most cases.
Sombody needs to come up with a hum-reduced P-90 that retains its original character.

korinabill
12-31-2005, 02:33 AM
I have a Cobra Special with 3 P90's and it gets the closest to vintage sound of all the TAG's that I have. Mine's a little different in that it has a Madagascar board vs Indian rw. I have always totally dug any Anderson with P90's.

LonestarGtr
12-31-2005, 10:10 AM
The main difference I can see between the 2 pu and the 3 pu is the kind of strat out of phase sound you can get with the bridge/middle pus. The bridge/neck combo on the 2 pu model is more like a les paul or tele middle position. The bridge/middle on the 3 pu model is a lot brighter and strat like. There is a gorgeous 2 pu cobra in ruby slippers at Manny's in NYC. I wouldn't mind having that, but I think I'm cut off for a while.

Mike

TSL
12-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Nice thread!

My hollow cobra with 2 P90s is what I reach for when I'm playing slide, blues or when I want a more vintage Gibson (think 54 goldtop or flying V) sound. It's a very versitile guitar! 09-14-01p if you want to look up the spec sheet.
I added a push pull for out of phase when both pickups are on. Some day I'll get around to posting some pictures for now you'll just have to imagine cajun red on quilt with cream P/U covers, no pick guard, matching neck, black headstock............... scrumptious! :D

kccheers
01-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Well, I'm PUMPED! Just got off the phone with John @ Mass Street Music and my new Cobra S Special is ordered and in their May slot.

•MODEL: Cobra S Special
•FINISH: Desert Sunset
•BODY BACK COLOR: same
•BODYWOOD: Mahogany
•NECKWOOD: Mahogany with African Rosewood Fingerboard
•HEADSTOCK FINISH: Matching
•NECKBACK FINISH: Satin
•NECK BACKSHAPE: Standard Cobra
•NUTWIDTH: 1 11/16-inch
•FRETS: Heavy—Exclusive Stainless Steel
•BRIDGE: Fixed Bridge
•HARDWARE COLOR: Chrome
•PICKGUARD: N/A
•PICKUP RINGS or COVERS: Black
•NECK PICKUP: P1
•MIDDLE PICKUP: N/A
•BRIDGE PICKUP: P3
•SWITCHING: 3-Way Blade-style
•STRING GAUGE: 11
•CASE: required
•ADDITIONAL SPECS:
•RETAIL TOTAL:

Roy, thanks again for all the help in making this such a simple process.

Cheers from KC!