PDA

View Full Version : Classic Thoughts

shadco
12-29-2005, 11:03 AM
My new Cobra has me eyeing my Strat and thinking what if.

So I'm thinking about getting Anderson to twist up a Classic.

Body wood Alder or Swamp Ash. Would they approximate Fender's Oly white for me?

Solid or Hollow I'd like to hear opinions

Neck Hard Rock Maple with African RW fretboard, 62 Roundback + .020, Heavy Frets. Satin finish with Gloss Headstock. Seems like this would be very similar to my Cobra neck in feel while being closer to Strat for tone contribution.

Mint or Tortise Pickguard.

Trem Locking Tuners

As far as pups go I have a lot to learn about TA pups but I'm thinking VA's.

Am interested in any and all input

BFC
12-29-2005, 11:39 AM
I had two Classics built at the same time with the exact same specs except for the pickups. They felt like they came from the same block of wood. Anyway, one had VAs (VA12, VA12R, VA23 bridge) and the other had Ms (M1-, M1-, M2 bridge). I sold the one with the VAs because the Ms were very surprisingly similar in tone and were incredibly quiet. The VAs are true singles and that means noise concerns. Something to consider.

brian b
12-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Get a classic, I had a classic with M's made with alder had a vintage trim and a 62 round back with a 1 11/16 nut. It is propably the most comfortable one I every had, and wish I had it back. Great sound and playablity.

BFC
12-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Oh, mine is solid Alder with a Maple neck, Indian Rosewood board, vintage tremolo, and locking tuners.

olectric
12-29-2005, 12:52 PM
I had a Hollow Classic for a while with vintage single coils, and I loved the sound of that guitar. It's for sale at Mass St. right now, and I'm continually racking my brain trying to find a way to hang on to it...

but, there are a lot of places I played that guitar and had to stay on 2 or 4 on the five-way; the hum was just too loud. Man, that was frustrating!

On the other hand, I played a solid Alder classic with M1-M1-M2 pups and a rosewood board at Mass St. a while back, and it was awesome. Very clear and loud with a near-vintage single coil sound. The only positions on the five-way that weren't convincing as single coils were 2 and 4.

Check out the tone reference pages on the TA website if you haven't yet.

I'd recommend solid Alder with M's also.

Rhys
12-29-2005, 01:53 PM
i'm interested in the wood selection. it seems that traditionally strats were alder and teles were ash. but i've seen a lot of ash strats and alder teles. i know the pickups play a major role in the tone, but do you guys think that if you're really going after the classic, traditional strat tones you gotta have alder (and the same with a tele and ash)?

BFC
12-29-2005, 02:00 PM
I think either is fine, just personal taste. I personally feel like I sound better on the style of Classic I have right now. I can get a thicker Classic sound more easily anyway. My new Hollow T Classic is all Swamp Ash for the body and a solid Maple neck. This will be new territory for me and I hope I sound good with it. I need to pay up and get it shipped out.

tom
12-29-2005, 04:31 PM
in the early days they were both ash. in the late 50's they made the switch to alder. this is a general rule, but if you are always looking for fatter smoother, alder is the one. if you are always looking for articulation and snappy top and bottom, ash is the one.

Woodash
12-29-2005, 05:08 PM
...articulation and snappy top and bottom, ash is the one.

That's the ticket. And single coils to boot! I just happen to really like the early strat tone - but that's just me.

My bottom line to Shadco: you have a lot of decisions to make and all we can do here is talk. Not much help, I'm afraid. Go out and find one that you like and then get one 'twisted up' the way you want it!

(Funny how certain vernacular is entering the mainstream. Back in the day, my usage of that term never referred to guitars....but I digress...)

Good luck with your mission.

shadco
12-29-2005, 06:41 PM
That's the ticket. And single coils to boot! I just happen to really like the early strat tone - but that's just me.

My bottom line to Shadco: you have a lot of decisions to make and all we can do here is talk. Not much help, I'm afraid. Go out and find one that you like and then get one 'twisted up' the way you want it!

(Funny how certain vernacular is entering the mainstream. Back in the day, my usage of that term never referred to guitars....but I digress...)

Good luck with your mission.

Finding em is next to mission immpossible where I live they all seem to be presold.

As we get older and we seem to get our kicks in a different way but the effect is quite often the same ;-)

I'm really looking to cover the vintage Strat vibe with a little extra to boot so I think the V series pups are the way I'm leaning and I think Swamp Ash seems to be the direction I'm headed in. If I do Swamp Ash I may have to go Translucent Blonde too.

andersonguy
12-30-2005, 12:48 AM
I would suggest a solid Alder, its still plenty "snappy" plus will give you that rich "vintage" tone with a little more umph. Ash can be brighter and thiner sounding IMO

Either way, you'll end up with a great guitar.

Tom shot me a nice mellow vintagey white on my hollow T classic, with a tortoise pickguard, its a killer combination. :)

Good luck and post pics when you get it.

RC

enr1co
12-30-2005, 07:53 PM
So I'm thinking about getting Anderson to twist up a Classic.

Neck Hard Rock Maple with African RW fretboard, 62 Roundback + .020, Heavy Frets. Satin finish with Gloss Headstock. Seems like this would be very similar to my Cobra neck in feel while being closer to Strat for tone contribution.

Mint or Tortise Pickguard.

Trem Locking Tuners

Heres one on the bay' that is pretty close to your requirements-

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOM-ANDERSON-CLASSIC-MODEL-STRAT-1997-GUITAR-SUNBURST_W0QQitemZ7378786226QQcategoryZ2384QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

e