PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Bruce & TAG

BoraBora
12-29-2005, 01:28 AM
I just want to tell you all about the fantastic repair job Bruce Nelson & TAG performed on my 1993 Classic (09-02-93A). I'm the original owner of this guitar and as you could imagine it had seen better days. My Classic had been worked on many times before by other repairmen for things such as pickup replacements, a refret, bridge replacement, and even a BFTS retrofit.

Recently I decided it was time to bring it by the TAG shop and have Bruce & Co. work their magic on it. Bruce refretted the 1-piece maple neck with the new jumbo SS frets and the neck was refinished. :) The wiring had to be redone, so Bruce installed new volume and tone pots and a new input jack. A new Tusq nut was cut and installed and the BFTS was properly set-up. Additionally, the finish on the body was given the equivalent of a Beverly Hills facial peel. The finish was sanded and buffed and it now looks brand spanking new. :D Unfortunately I don't know the name of the person who worked on the body finish, but they did a stellar job. The long scratches on the back of the guitar from beltbuckles and shirt buttons are now completely gone. :) Also gone are all the nasty polish swirls and scratches on the front of the guitar.

A couple of things I learned from this are:

1.) If you need repair work done to your Anderson, send it to Anderson. They know what they are doing. Sounds simple, but it is so true. :)
2.) Don't use an old polish rag to clean your guitar. Especially if it's a rag you use to change strings with. :eek:
3.) Bruce Nelson is Da Man.

I am so happy right now, I basically have a "brand new" Anderson guitar. It looks and plays fantastic. :D

Thanks Bruce & TAG.

bruce
12-29-2005, 03:50 AM
You are welcome! It's comforting to know the work that we love doing is appreciated. This is what keeps us going. It's also fun to take a guitar that's been heavily used (and sometimes abused) and bring it back to life.

FYI.. the person at the shop that did the buff and polish to the body is Tino. He has been at TAG for approximately 11 years. Buffing is probably the most physically demanding job at the shop and Tino is simply THE master. Some guitar manufactures use robotic buffers... We got Tino.

Thanks again.

Casper
01-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Been thinking about doing the same thing for my 96 classic.. how much does the "beverly hills spa" treatment cost? I know I need a new nut, fret job buff/polish, reset, just a genral going over....
Shaun

bruce
01-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Well, a refret w/ stainless frets is $300-$400 depending on the neckwood/finish you have. A new nut is included if it's not a locking unit. This price also includes a ground up set up.

Buffing out the body depends how much time is needed and how damaged your finish is, but I can ball-park it at $40-$90.

BoraBora
01-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Casper, I'd highly recommend getting this done to your guitar. It's well worth it. :) The refret and refinish on a 1-piece maple neck is $350. On a rosewood board it is $300. I'm sure Tom, Roy, or Bruce can chime in regarding the different prices for other work.

For anyone that is interested, here is a link to pics of my restored Classic. Pics #13 through #18 are the latest ones showing off the new and improved mirror-like finish.

http://community.webshots.com/album/208301442NoTbRA

njjessee
01-04-2006, 05:46 AM
Hey BoraBora!

Great looking guitars. Curious.. is the bridge on the 93 classic original?

Noah

Casper
01-04-2006, 06:28 AM
Sounds like a plan.............
Let me get Christmas paid for first!
Nice axes Bora..
Shaun

BoraBora
01-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Hey BoraBora!

Great looking guitars. Curious.. is the bridge on the 93 classic original?

Noah

Hey Noah, the bridge on my 93 Classic is not original. I had the original vintage trem. replaced with a Wilkinson in 1994. I believe the model number is VS100, they were very popular bridges around that time. It's a nice bridge with a warm tone. Honestly, I would be just as happy if I kept the original vintage trem. :)