PDA

View Full Version : It was bound to happen...

mwoeppel
12-20-2005, 10:30 PM
I'm still in love with my Hollow Cobra S (Koa!), but lately, I've been craving a tele with smooth, dark, jazzy kind of sound that I can switch to more twangy and bright (for those Freddie King moments).

I'm thinking a T or a hollow T with minis might do that...

Has anyone tried the minis in a T?

bud
12-20-2005, 11:58 PM
HTC w/ M1 TM2 and 5 way switch (providing additional neck-split and neck-split/bridge-series settings), for me, is what you are talking about.

The three-way with everything in series was really great but adding those 2 sounds was like getting another guitar. The M1 splits gorgeously.

korinabill
12-21-2005, 01:15 AM
I recently acquired a T Classic with 2 M's, maple board. It comes pretty close to a tele, and being non-hollow, cuts through the mix better. Plus it's noiseless. I have some HTC's and Hollow T's also in varying configurations that are very versatile, all with various 3 pickup configurations. The one with M's offers something different, plus the added girth. Mark, I would highly recommend checking out this week's Guitar of the Week at Charley's, and give it a play. It has the m's and sounds VERY resonant un-plugged. I played it and man, it's fabulous- and a real looker.

olectric
12-21-2005, 09:25 AM
HTC w/ M1 TM2 and 5 way switch (providing additional neck-split and neck-split/bridge-series settings), for me, is what you are talking about.

The three-way with everything in series was really great but adding those 2 sounds was like getting another guitar. The M1 splits gorgeously.

Do the extra two sounds have any hum? What do they sound like? I've got one on order with a 3-way...I might think about asking for a 5.

brian b
12-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Charleys also has a very clean shell pink HCT with M's that will do just what you want.

bud
12-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Do the extra two sounds have any hum? What do they sound like? I've got one on order with a 3-way...I might think about asking for a 5.

Yes, they do hum. I don't find single coil hum to be problematic too often. But it still has 3 noiseless settings, if you run into an "adverse" power or lighting situation.

The two positions with neck split sound much more "traditional" (the neck split/bridge series has more twang, the neck by itself sounds like a lowish output single coil). When coupled with the other settings you get this built in gain differential that makes it pretty easy to jump between rhythm and lead sounds with a flick of the switch.

guitarzan
12-21-2005, 11:28 AM
+1 to Bud's comments. I love the gain difference between the 2/4 positions and the traditional 1/3/5 ones. I find myslef using 2 and 4 thoughout the song and either going to the neck for solos or the bridge for the dynamic change of a chorus. I think it's probably what I love about the guitar best is that it's still all-tele in 1/3/5 but with the two added positions, it's like a new guitar.

go for the 5-way, J.

olectric
12-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Bud and 'Zan:

Okay, you've sold me on the 5-way. Hopefully it's not too late in the order to add that in!

Do you guys have fixed bridges or trems?

guitarzan
12-21-2005, 01:04 PM
fixed bridge w/ thru-body ferrules.

side note- I got hired to play with a band that opened up for The Kry (pop christian band with big success in the 90's) last friday and the sound was awesome. The HTC through a Lone Star Special woke their guitarist up from his pre-show nap to come downstairs and check out the rig (not the guitarist- the rig).

mmmmmm... Hollow.. T......

mwoeppel
12-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Charleys also has a very clean shell pink HCT with M's that will do just what you want.

ummm - pink

I'm not sure I'm man enough for pink...

I'll swing by, tho.

Sold my hollow cobra - I've got cash, baby!

olectric
12-21-2005, 03:00 PM
fixed bridge w/ thru-body ferrules.

side note- I got hired to play with a band that opened up for The Kry (pop christian band with big success in the 90's) last friday and the sound was awesome. The HTC through a Lone Star Special woke their guitarist up from his pre-show nap to come downstairs and check out the rig (not the guitarist- the rig).

mmmmmm... Hollow.. T......

Why haven't you posted a pic of your HTC? Or did I miss it when you did?

bud
12-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Bud and 'Zan:

Okay, you've sold me on the 5-way. Hopefully it's not too late in the order to add that in!

Do you guys have fixed bridges or trems?

Just to confuse the issue, I have a trem :)

Guitar originally had a Pete Anderson setup, VA1's and a TV3. Used the trem alot.....Heard an HTC with M's and decided that's what the guitar needed to be, so had the M's installed with a 3 way and stopped using the Trem altogether.........Then I played ToneLounge's HTC with the 5 way and changed the 3 way for a five-way.

I am not fickle! :D

Trem or no trem you can't go wrong.

guitarzan
12-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Why haven't you posted a pic of your HTC? Or did I miss it when you did?

I posted it over the summer when there was a 4-page thread of pics of guys' Andersons. I actually took the photo down sometime in the Fall to free up some server space.

It's a butterscotch T w/ black pickguard. I would've never picked it (on looks) because I would have ordered something much more flashy- to match the sequined codpieces I wear when I gig out, but ToneLounge had one just like it that I got to play and it felt utilitarian but stunning in its simplicity. I decided at that point that I'd be just fine NOT having one with a bunch of aesthetic options like binding and LED fretboard inlays and highly figured top and out-of-this-world paint job. It just feels like I have the world's best '52 tele. It feels like it's been played regularly for 57 years and has a half century's worth of mojo (to my eyes and hands). It really is a piece of magic to play- but the looks are like all the other butterscotch teles you'd see on the paint sample pages of the TAG site.

olectric
12-21-2005, 04:48 PM
It just feels like I have the world's best '52 tele. It feels like it's been played regularly for 57 years and has a half century's worth of mojo (to my eyes and hands).

Ummm....errrrr.....can't stop it...

57 years before 2005 was 1948.

Couldn't help it. I'm done now, though. I took off the math police hat. Nothing to see here folks...keep walking...

:D

guitarzan
12-21-2005, 05:30 PM
I was an English Lit. Major. NUMB3R5 W1LL B3 7HE D3A7H 0F M3!!!!!!!!

guitarzan
12-21-2005, 05:31 PM
did i say '52? I meant the little known 1948 prototype broadcasquirecaster that Leo was working on in his laboratory.

bud
12-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Ummm....errrrr.....can't stop it...

57 years before 2005 was 1948.

Couldn't help it. I'm done now, though. I took off the math police hat. Nothing to see here folks...keep walking...

:D

The serial number was '52, but the neck date was '48 (must a been left over from a Broadcaster proto)

(Corey, I've got your back, when faced with cold hard facts my motto is just make stuff up, oops that was supposed to be in a PM)

after the fact - Dang now I see Corey beat me to the punch.

guitarzan
12-21-2005, 06:43 PM
The serial number was '52, but the neck date was '48 (must a been left over from a Broadcaster proto)

(Corey, I've got your back, when faced with cold hard facts my motto is just make stuff up, oops that was supposed to be in a PM)

after the fact - Dang now I see Corey beat me to the punch.
thanks, Bud. I think we mighta fooled him.

Back to the thread at hand...

mwoeppel, there are a handful of threads regarding the Hollow T and M series pups. it seems to be the way to go these days. Congrats on the sale of the Hollow Cobra. Did it sell in just one day?

olectric
12-21-2005, 07:44 PM
thanks, Bud. I think we mighta fooled him.

Haaay, wah hahppend?

mwoeppel, the best advice I was given when I was contemplating an HTC with M's was "order first, ask questions later." It has worked pretty well so far.

mwoeppel
12-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Congrats on the sale of the Hollow Cobra. Did it sell in just one day?

Thanks! I put it up eBay and sold it to a guy in Hong Kong. So - a 7 day sale, and I got a good price, too!

Mark

funalij
12-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Hi Mark:

I have a Tc with 3 M's and it sounds so good, and it has a lot of differentes sounds (with 11 pu's positions).

It's a good choice

Javier