PDA

View Full Version : Advice sought from fellow Anderson devotees

rfmason
01-08-2004, 12:03 AM
I'm considering adding to my Anderson stable (already have a Hollow T classic) and am currently leaning towards a Hollow Drop Top Classic. Aside from the nice cosmetics, I'd like a humbucker in the bridge position. I would also like to be able get the classic strat sounds. With that said, should I maybe just focus on the "Classic" instead? Or are the drop top and DT Classic able to cop good strat tones? I also play a 62 Fender Vintage reissue but of course, it is somewhat limited by the vintage style frets and the neck radius. Nice tone, though. Anyway, I was also wondering if the DT and/or DT Classic might be too bright sounding with the maple top and alder body, especially if paired with a maple neck. The Cobra is appealing with the shorter scale but somehow I suspect that it might sound too dark based on the materials used. I'm also of the (possibly misguided) belief that the longer scale is an integral ingredient of the classic strat tone. And I never usually find single coil tones derived from humbucking pickups to be convincing. I'm not yet sold on P-90s either but am open to suggestions. One last question: What does everyone think about the powerbridge option? Not having heard it in person, I'm a bit skeptical but am eager to be convinced.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Rob M(aybe)

Stan Malinowski
01-08-2004, 07:53 AM
Rob,

How about a Hollow DT Classic withe the VA Boost Option? This allows you (via a single mini toggle switch) to switch between "regular" VA pickup output and "boosted" VA pickup output. I have a Hollow DTC (maple top/swamp ash back) with this option. In the regular mode my pickups are essentially VA1/VA1R/VA2 and when boosted they look like VA2/VA2R/VA3 pickups. Not truely a humbucker output in the bidge when boosted, buta at least P90 output. Tonally I find this guitar gets me to about the 85% point of what I would consider to be a "pure" Strat (solid body, non-maple top). Once you alter the basic Strat design by putting on a maple top the tone will expectly drift from that produced by a pure solid body alder Strat design. Comparing a prviuosly owned non-Hollow Drop Top with my present Hollow Drop Top Classic I would definetly say the HDTC is much closer to a pure Strat tone tan a solid Drop Top. I believe tha Anderson website/catalog claims the different body routing for the DT Classic drives you closer to vintage tones. I would agree.

BTW I also believe that the longer 25.5" Strat scale is partially responsible for the Strat tone. The string tension and pickup placement must come into play tone-wise and these are obviously different on 25.5" and 24.75" scales.

Sorry to ramble....it's early and I need coffee!

rfmason
01-08-2004, 08:01 AM
Stan,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I'll check it out.

Rob

rfmason
01-10-2004, 01:32 AM
Any other comments/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Rob