PDA

View Full Version : Adding Violin

njjessee
12-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Hey guys, looking for some advice. From time to time, our church band will add a violin. Looks like it's becoming more of a fixture, so I'm looking for the best way to get it into the house mix.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Noah

ryman150
12-04-2005, 03:15 PM
A friend of mine uses a Shure clip on style mic - that would clip on to the bell of a horn. It sounds really great. I can try and find out what he uses.

Suriel Zayas
12-04-2005, 03:51 PM
there are a few variables to address. is it a pickup-based (piezo) amplification or micing involved? where does he sit on stage (next to percussion, bass, or guitar amp)? is the violin part of the whole set list (including +95db songs) or just the mellower stuff? just a few questions that will help you make a more informed decision.

njjessee
12-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Currently, we're placing the violin next to keyboard away from drums, bass and guitar. Also, using a mic at this time, but willing to move to piezo if that would work better. If that's case, thoughts as to which would be best including direct boxes or preamps. We've not invested in any equipment as yet. Just using an SM57 as a temporary solution. The violin will have parts through the entire set list.

morty
12-05-2005, 09:14 AM
I think a DPA mic is the best to capture true violin sound. We use it on our folk-music band..

killerburst
12-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Audio Technica AT892 (http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/ca4e1480a34b3b0e/index.html)