PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful guitar: Keep it or send it back?

Woodash
12-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Hello all -

So, I am a new guy around here. Just took delivery on a Hollow T classic yesterday - still on 48hr approval. I purchased this from the stock of a dealer who had what I was looking for.

First, let me say how impressed I am with this guitar. Truly an exquisite piece of craftsmanship, design, and attention to detail. After having had the opportunity to play it last night, I am nothing short of astounded. I never thought I would like the heavy frets, but sliding 9th chords just seem to slide effortlessly into place; vibrato was never easier or more fluid. The range of tone and dynamics that I can get out of this thing just floors me. The TV3 pickup is incredible, and the TV1 + TV3 blend is amazing (still deciding how I like the TV1 alone, though....!). I could go on....it's just amzaing - you all know the deal. It must be really satisfying for the folks at TAG to know that they're creating such beautiful works of art and function.

Problem is this: I'm used to playing a larger neck profile. My favorite is a '56 Strat (reissue) with Fender's '10/56' soft V neck. This is ~0.91 at the first fret. I'm also happy with a PRS wide-fat carve. My new Anderson has a standard carve +0.050 with a 1-5/8 nut width and just feels a little smallish to me. I would prefer the neck to be a 'bit' thicker and perhaps with a bit more in the shoulders. I could and would get used to it (and still love it), but I'm still deciding if I want to 'settle'.

My options are these:
1) send it back to the dealer in good faith (we've discussed this; he's cool)and order a new Anderson to my spec, with a ~4+ month wait,
2) keep the guitar and later have a new neck made to the tune of $500+, or
3) keep the guitar and play it as is and forget about it.

So, this is the dilemma of buying site unseen.

I would really welcome any thoughts or suggestions - open ended.

Sorry for blabbering on...

Thanks much,
Steve in central MA

andersonguy
12-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi Steve,
Welcome to a great place.
In all honesty, I'd send the guitar back and order what you want. Having the right neck carve is pretty important. Chances are you can find what you want with a little searching out there or wait a little while with a new order.
It will be worth it. ;)

AG

-CM-
12-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Tough call, but I'd probably send it back and get one exactly how you want it. From my experience, Anderson's high quality is consitent from guitar to guitar, so you don't have to worry about getting a lesser guitar if you order another one.

Still, each guitar is unique.

sylvanshine
12-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Definitely send it back and get what you want.

ryman150
12-02-2005, 11:12 AM
I also STRONGLY recomend you to order one with the neck that feels perfect to you. I ordered an HTC in 04 witha '62 RB neck. I made the mistake of doing so without actually ever playing a '62 RB. My only reference was a TA Standard. After getting it, it just was not comfortable to me. I finally found that the small V neck is for me. Fit's perfect. I had to sell the HTC and take a good hit on a nearly brand new guitar.

Tremendo
12-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Make sure you're fully happy with whatever you do. It's too much $ to have something that's not right for you. I bought my 1st Cobra S a month ago, used, and it has 62 Roundback neck, which I had never played either. I am used to the Strat and old Charvel necks, much thinner. I decided I wanted a Cobra S, but preferred a thinner neck, so 2 weeks ago I bought a new Cobra S with the T/A standard for Cobra neck. I still have the other Cobra S, and it's growing on me a bit, but I should probably get rid of it, or switch it for a standard or Drop Top with a thinner neck.

Woodash
12-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the replies, folks (keep 'em coming...). Interesting that there is a real consensus about this. So, how can I be so undecided? It's because the damn guitar blew me away and I am having a hard time turning loose of it!

I wish I knew what was the optimum neck carve for me. Don't get a chance to try these things out near me and all the number crunching in the world doesn't really give me that good of an idea.

It would be great if there was some kind of cross-section diagram (first fret) available for each of the end-member neck carves.

Short of going out and buying a $25 digital caliper, anyone out there in Andersonland happen to know what's close to the Fender '10/56' neck?

Thanks again.

Tremendo
12-02-2005, 12:58 PM
So, how can I be so undecided? It's because the damn guitar blew me away and I am having a hard time turning loose of it!

Same with me. That's partly why I still have 2 Cobra S's right now. But as I play more, I realize that if one guitar feels better for me, that's the one I'll use the most.

I can't find it, but I saw a post here somewhere on the exact measurements of different necks, and I'm sure some here have a good idea of your Fender 10/56 neck.

sonsop
12-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Fender 10/56 measure like this" .880" Thickness at 1st Fret, .980" Thickness at 12th Fret. I think the soft V makes the first five frets appear smaller than that, so usually a full C shape around .830 at the 1st fret feels similiar to me.

Your new Anderson neck doesn't sound that small.

taclassic
12-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Hi,

I myself have gone through about 10 Andersons and always found myself going back to the Standard neck carve with a 1 11/16ths nut width. The 62 roundback on a 1 5/8th nut width had a nich chunky feel a lot like the PRS Wide Fat Neck Carve. I also owned a 1 11/16th nut width with a 0.05" oversized neck carve and that was a little chunky.

Call up Roy at the Anderson Factory and he can definitely give you some awesome insight.

HiG
12-02-2005, 02:42 PM
I tend to agree with the others - if you paid at or near retail send it back. Again, the consistency between Andersons is superb. But.. if you got a good deal on your Hollow T and like everything about it except the carve, the neck replacement might be an option to seriously consider. I've had it done to one of my Andersons and am considering having another done as well. I can vouch for the perfect fit and playability of the new neck as well as the colored headstock, which was matched perfectly on the new neck. The neck replacement means you will be without your guitar for about 6 weeks, versus 4+ months for a new one.

replayboy
12-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Whats the spec of the guitar? colour etc, where did you get it? I have a nocaster thinline own a TA +0.070 t classic and love the small 50's V !!! so give us some detail to pass a judgement?
Cheers :o

Allamricn
12-02-2005, 09:32 PM
I can't add anything on the sizing issue, but certainly can on the keep or send back issue. Send it back while you still can !!! I was through the same situation with an acoustic I had made for me. As much as I wanted to like the guitar, it was a beautiful instrument, the playability was just not there for me. I ended up keeping it for over a year and selling it anyway. I feel your pain, but lets face it, if it's not right for you--that will most likely always be an issue..Besides, the next one will hopefully be a perfect fit for you. As someone stated earlier, contact TAG and I'm sure you guys can narrow down what your favorite neck size would be !! Best of luck to you....
Bob

brian b
12-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Also send it back get what you need. You might also look at an 1 11/16 nut. Have had many from a 1 11/16 with a .50 over to a 62 round back. Right now I'am playing a 1 5/8 with a 62 round back and love it. Favorite of is a .30 or an Atom with .40 over feel like swinging for the bench's.

Stys
12-03-2005, 08:52 AM
I would keep the guitar and then order another. Then, order another in 2006. Of course, you will need a 2007 model. After the New Year's ball drops in 2008, order another. Imagine closing out the decade with a 2009 model and a 2010 model.

brian b
12-03-2005, 09:55 AM
I would keep the guitar and then order another. Then, order another in 2006. Of course, you will need a 2007 model. After the New Year's ball drops in 2008, order another. Imagine closing out the decade with a 2009 model and a 2010 model.
Oh the madness :rolleyes:

dannopelli
12-03-2005, 11:14 PM

OK this is just my personal $.02. I SAY KEEP IT!

Actually I know Stys comments were meant to be humourous, but I must say I agree DO NOT send it back if you plan on having a few guitars, or a few Andys, down the road. Once you get one they are ADDICTIVE!

I just added my fifth TA yesterday, and they all have different neck carves and nut widths. Same with all my other guitars.

I like it when I pick up a guitar and it is totally different from the one I put down. It is like guitar vacation!

You see my opinion is that you get different guitars for different tones, looks, feel etc. So different neck carves help you kind of complete the psychological and physical change of going from guitar to guitar. Your PRS certainly does not feel like an LP. An early 60's Strat feels different than a mid or late, same with a 50's Strat. The Mc Carty neck is different than a wide thin or wide fat. And so on.... And so on....

So if you think you are going to get another Andy down the road, then keep this one. Get the next one with a different specs altogether.

ONLY if you are sure this will be your only Andy would I suggest make it the perfect one for you!

Stys
12-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Yes siree! My comment was meant to be funny. Although, my wife did not find the humor. After many Anderson's, I told her that a player needs to own guitars where each one is different. I'm not sure if she bought that line. Anyway, I favor the '62 roundback but each Anderson has a different nut width. To me, it is fun getting reacclimated with a different neck each time I play.

guitarzan
12-04-2005, 10:06 AM
send it back. get the right one. Once you have the one that fits like a glove, THEN you can order the varieties of aberrations later on.

Sixx
12-06-2005, 10:19 AM
That's a tough one. Until you try the other neck you'll never know. Once you try it there is no guarantee you'll like it more.

That said, I would probably send it back and get what you want.

Having so many neck choices etc is kind of a double edged sword. I love the choices, but man some times it makes you think about changing to much!

Woodash
12-07-2005, 08:03 PM
First of all, sorry for dropping out after asking for y'alls input. It took me longer than I thought to arrive at the 'right' decision, and then I couldn't get back here to post right away.

Anyway, thanks to one and all for all the input and information. I decided to keep the Anderson. Without actually playing some other Anderson necks, there is no way I can tell just what is 'best' for me, and so I decided that this guitar is just too resonant and sweet to pass up.

I can play a lot of different neck shapes and radii and still be comfortable and enjoy it. If in the future, I find an Anderson neck that just blows me away - well, maybe then I'll consider having a new neck made. Until then, I have what I think is a great guitar at a fair price.

Now, all I really need to do is get a pearl pickguard and I'll be styling!

Thanks again,
Steve

guitarzan
12-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Steve,
I have 2 guitars that I'm playing these days. One is a really wide radius- it feels like a Southern California Interstate and the other is a fairly narrow neck but is a slightly oversized Tom Anderson Standard. I love the variation between the two. I find that I play each guitar differently and different moods draw me to one or the other.

All that's to say that keeping the one that doesn't fit your usual specs might be a good thing.

dannopelli
12-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Steve,
I have 2 guitars.... I find that I play each guitar differently and different moods draw me to one or the other.

All that's to say that keeping the one that doesn't fit your usual specs might be a good thing.

YIPPIE! You kept it! Good call and congrats!

You are right that until you play a bunch of necks you'll never know. You may find that this one is best! The HTC I just got has a 62 roundback, and before I played it I never thought I'd like it. But I do! So now I have five Andy's with five different necks and love them all.

Guitarzan is right. It is SO much fun switching guitars!

Anyway, where's the pics? Oh and call Roy, they'll sell you a pickguard!

Danno

Woodash
12-08-2005, 05:38 PM
I actually drove ~2 hours down to my 'local' Anderson dealer who had a few in stock. I tried a small V and a 62 RB with 1-5/8 (no oversize). These really didn't do it for me, but that didn't surprise me. On balance, I like my existing neck more than either of these two others. I like a bigger neck and in the long run, I'll bet I'd probably prefer maybe a 62 RB 1-11/16 with even some more thickness.

But for now, I enjoy playing the Anderson. I have several necks, and they all play differently and have their own personalities. And I enjoy them all.

What really has me going now is that the bridge pickup on that HTC is wound to something like 14.5 kohms. Wow! I don't recall the exact measure that I got - and I measured this on the instrument, so it's just an approximation, but still...that's one hot pickup!

How can the thing sound so good on the top end with it being that hot?
Tom? You out there?

Steve

tom
12-08-2005, 06:19 PM
numbers can be deceiving. everything else has to be the same to make the numbers make sense. if you read some of our humbuckers you will have the opposite experience with the numbers. without the metal plate on the bottom, we radically adjusted the winds and the gauge of wire. don't let the meter get in the way of what your ears are telling you.

BoraBora
12-08-2005, 08:36 PM
That's cool that you decided to keep the guitar. When the time is right, just buy another Anderson. :D