PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Koa Hollow Drop Top

Stan Malinowski
01-06-2004, 07:55 AM
I'm searching for a used Hollow Drop Top with a Koa top. Preferably a SA1R/SA1/H2 pickup configuration.

Definite Requirements:
- 1 11/16" Nut
- 62 Roundback or TA Std +.030 Neck Carve)
- Regular Trem (No Floyds)

email me at:
stanley.malinowski@snet.net

Thanks!

pluto
01-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Stan, wasn't there somebody on this forum selling a Koa top? I forgot who it was, but I think he said the koa came from Tom's personal stash of woods.

Stan Malinowski
01-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the reminder Mark! If I am correct (which doesn't happen very often:D ) I believe the guitar was sold on eBay. I sent an email off to to Tonelounge just in case....

pluto
01-06-2004, 05:13 PM
I must have missed that on ebay. Scott P. from the gearpage just scored a nice one-did you see that one? With the koa shortage, I'm sure those koa tops are going to be in demand. Funny thing is that here in Hawaii, it seems all the ukulele makers have no problems finding koa-those guys must have a monopoly on the koa supply.

Stan Malinowski
01-06-2004, 05:35 PM
I saw the Koa DTC on the Gear Page. I hesitated about 1 hour and Scott beat me to it! Scott is a real Koa lover! I actually purchased a Hamer Mirage with a Koa top from him last year, nice guitar but I'm not a humbucker fan!

tom
01-07-2004, 01:06 AM
i saw brian from the tone lounge today, and he has the koa guitar for sale. it's a beaut. ukes are much smaller, so wood is much easier to come by. being local doesn't hurt either.

michaelomiya
01-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
I'm searching for a used Hollow Drop Top with a Koa top. Preferably a SA1R/SA1/H2 pickup configuration.

Definite Requirements:
- 1 11/16" Nut
- 62 Roundback or TA Std +.030 Neck Carve)
- Regular Trem (No Floyds)

stan, you may want to check out this guitar:

Caveat: probably overpriced, and I didn't research the neck carve - but what a top!!:eek:

http://www.wolfgangguitars.com/AndersonWalnutHDT.htm

(and yes, I do have a first year Wolfgang...not that that means anything!:p )

michaelomiya
01-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
stan, you may want to check out this guitar:

Caveat: probably overpriced, and I didn't research the neck carve - but what a top!!:eek:

http://www.wolfgangguitars.com/AndersonWalnutHDT.htm

(and yes, I do have a first year Wolfgang...not that that means anything!:p )

I guess I've got to READ the links before posting. My apologies to the forum - this is a Walnut, NOT Koa top......

for shame.....I'll go back to my corner now....(embarassed)

GASMAN
01-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Stan----check your e-mail. I may have what you are looking for.

Stan Malinowski
01-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Michael, GASMAN, Pluto and Tom,

Thanks to all of you for your input!!! The GOOD news is I am now the owner of a Hollow Drop Top Koa Classic! One of Tom's friends just happened to visit the factory on Tuesday and Tom was good enough to have him amke contact with me. The guitar is the one Pluto pointed out to me which was for sale a while back on the Forum.

Bottom line is that the guitar has a few unique features - it is the first Anderson to be equipped with the BF tuning system, the first HDTC with a Koa top and the top came from Tom's own personal wood stash. Also the fretboard has no markers (this should be interesting) and it was the first Guitar of the Week. Tonelounge, the previous owner, is dropping the guitar off at the TA factory either today or tommorrow to have the boys perform some tweaks. I can't wait until they are done!

pluto
01-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Michael, GASMAN, Pluto and Tom,

Thanks to all of you for your input!!! The GOOD news is I am now the owner of a Hollow Drop Top Koa Classic! One of Tom's friends just happened to visit the factory on Tuesday and Tom was good enough to have him amke contact with me. The guitar is the one Pluto pointed out to me which was for sale a while back on the Forum.

Bottom line is that the guitar has a few unique features - it is the first Anderson to be equipped with the BF tuning system, the first HDTC with a Koa top and the top came from Tom's own personal wood stash. Also the fretboard has no markers (this should be interesting) and it was the first Guitar of the Week. Tonelounge, the previous owner, is dropping the guitar off at the TA factory either today or tommorrow to have the boys perform some tweaks. I can't wait until they are done!

WOOHOOOOO! Congratulations! As for the fret markers thing, I think it looks cool. Two of my Andersons don't have them-it looks stark and bold without them. At first it was a little awkward, but it didn't take long to look at the top side markers as fret references. As my dealer told me too-people will think you're the master when you're playing!