PDA

View Full Version : GMW Guitars??

pluto
01-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Has anyone had any experience with GMW Guitars? I've been toying with the idea for the last year or so of buying a Michael Schenker flying v replica (yes, I'm a huge Schenker fan). I haven't read too much of anything on the company and their products and am therefore somewhat wary of ordering a guitar from them. Any input would be appreciated.

michaelomiya
01-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by pluto
Has anyone had any experience with GMW Guitars? I've been toying with the idea for the last year or so of buying a Michael Schenker flying v replica (yes, I'm a huge Schenker fan). I haven't read too much of anything on the company and their products and am therefore somewhat wary of ordering a guitar from them. Any input would be appreciated.

mark, (you're probably already aware of this) GMW and Dan Lawrence are folks that did the Cobra flame, the DT US Flag, and the "Rocky" George Harrison guitars.

http://vintageamps.com/PlexiPalaceUBBcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001718#000000

check your PM box as well!

pluto
01-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the link, Michael. I didn't know GMW and Lawrence did the graphics for those guitars and I just looked at this week's guitar of the week today!

tom
01-05-2004, 08:46 PM
dan has done every graphic we have done. he is amazing.

pluto
01-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Thanks Tom for your input. Just as a side note, have you ever thought about making guitars with different designs other than the tele/strat/crowdster shapes like a single cut (don't worry, I won't ask about a flying v shape!!)?

tom
01-06-2004, 12:48 AM
i have been working on and scratching my head about a new guitar for a couple years now. i thought i might be ready to build one before namm this month, but it keeps getting more involved. i'm still struggling with some of the details.

michaelomiya
01-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks Tom for your input. Just as a side note, have you ever thought about making guitars with different designs other than the tele/strat/crowdster shapes like a single cut (don't worry, I won't ask about a flying v shape!!)?

oh boy, here we go!!:D

somehow, I think Pandora's gonna make an appearance!;)

Mark, if you can convince Tom to shape you an Explorer, Randy Rhoads, or any Jackson-shaped body, I'm in line as well!!!:p

michaelomiya
01-06-2004, 12:26 PM
oh, and make it w/ Black hardware! Roy will love that!!

pluto
01-06-2004, 01:19 PM
Well, as Tom says, it never hurts to ask! How about it, Tom, a Flying V with a maple top (a la Dean and Hamer!)?? Bolt on neck is okay too!

michaelomiya
01-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Well, as Tom says, it never hurts to ask! How about it, Tom, a Flying V with a maple top (a la Dean and Hamer!)?? Bolt on neck is okay too!

that's right - no one can fault us for not inquiring! Hey, in a moment of weakness, we may just get what we're asking for - ya never know:D

tom
01-06-2004, 04:06 PM
wake up, i think you are dreaming...or maybe it's me having a nightmare.

michaelomiya
01-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by tom

:D :D ha ha!

pluto
01-06-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by tom

I take that as a "no"??? :D

Stys
01-06-2004, 08:10 PM
I'm fearing a return of the 80's - guitar shapes other than the classic tele/strat/LP along with graphics

tom
01-07-2004, 01:02 AM
not likely to happen here.

dpeterson
01-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Hmm i've been to his shop several times, and had 2 different necks, and 2 bodies made from him. Quality is very good, only thing i do not like from his is his fretwork, they tend to grind down the frets too much, almost like total reshaping of the fret to be kinda flat. This would seem to be really time consuming to do too, but I dont like it and ended up selling the two necks i had.

I had him custom make a body for an old charvel pointy neck I had, it's two hum, alder, and a floyd in candy apple red, and the guitar looks just like jack butlers in crossroads :)

Dave

pluto
01-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by dpeterson
Hmm i've been to his shop several times, and had 2 different necks, and 2 bodies made from him. Quality is very good, only thing i do not like from his is his fretwork, they tend to grind down the frets too much, almost like total reshaping of the fret to be kinda flat. This would seem to be really time consuming to do too, but I dont like it and ended up selling the two necks i had.

I had him custom make a body for an old charvel pointy neck I had, it's two hum, alder, and a floyd in candy apple red, and the guitar looks just like jack butlers in crossroads :)

Dave

Thanks Dave for the info. I'm really close to pulling the trigger and am hoping my HDT sells so that I can go for the Schenky V.