PDA

View Full Version : Intonation

ryman150
11-18-2005, 05:08 PM
I am very frustrated. I went to intonate my anderson tele today, and I got all the strings perfect but the 1st string. I tune it up, (using a Korg DT-7). Then push the 12th fret button to tune it accordingly. I adjust the screws accordingly. It seems no matter how much I adjust the screw either way, the 12th fret stays just sharp of the open E. Any ideas at all? Could my nut be worn down too much in the groove for the E string? Help please.

Thanks

tom
11-18-2005, 06:31 PM
maybe a bad string. maybe you're pushing down too hard.

bruce
11-18-2005, 11:48 PM
If you moved the saddle back and forth it will kill the string and make it impossible to get it to intonate true. Probably a bad string by now. I suggest remove the string and before putting a new string back on,move the saddle back a bit and start over. This way you will need to move the saddle forward (towards the neck)... this way you won't be making a kink in the string by moving it backwards.

ryman150
11-19-2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks guys. I ended up breaking the string anyways...lol. I appreciate the help. I had no clue that moving the saddle wore out a string. I guess it makes sense though.

Thanks again!

bruce
11-19-2005, 03:42 PM
What I meant to explain was once the new string was on, moving the saddle forward (towards the neck) won't be putting a kink in the string from were the point of vibration begins.

I hope that explains it better... sometimes these wacky mechanical issues are better understood and easier to explain with the guitar in front of us. I'm still trying to get that whole "square peg, round hole" theory... I'm begininng to think its all a farse.

tom
11-19-2005, 05:23 PM
it doesn't matter what shape the hole is if you have a big enough hammer, and a broom to sweep up the left overs.

ryman150
11-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Haha, that's funny. :D

guitarzan
11-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Ryan,
Where's MikesTech when you need him?!? Isn't there some sort of Bat Signal for a situation like this?? :)

jimmieb
11-21-2005, 12:34 AM
I was wondring if some folks would go over their intonation ritual with us.
I'm a little confussed on using harmonics or freting the twelth fret. I usually fret a little to hard and go to sharp. Which way to sharpen/ flat the intonation cockwise or counterclockwise.

sylvanshine
11-21-2005, 08:42 AM
If the fretted note is sharp compared to the 12th fret harmonic, you need to move the saddle back. The heavier the frets and/or the harder you push, the more likely you can get it to go sharp. Remember to hold it in playing position when you do this. And with a new set of strings.

tom
11-21-2005, 11:20 AM
you are better off using open string and fretted 12th fret note. harmonics do read as true. witht the feiten system the 12th fret is not exactly one octave above the open string.

sylvanshine
11-21-2005, 12:39 PM
I should have been more specific on 12th fret harmonics. On my bench I use a Korg DT-7 tuner, which has a setting for BF 12th fret.

ryman150
11-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Well, unfortunately I stuck a new string on. I started the saddle way back, so I could only move it forward. I can't get the darn thing to intonate. It says about one light to the right of dead on (on the DT-7). I've never experienced this before.

tom
11-21-2005, 04:18 PM
just to be sure. you're tuning with the button in the open position, then pushing the octave button, the light is flashing, and fretting the 12th fret? and you're in the buzz feiten mode? one light to the right means it's sharp, and the saddle needs to go further from the neck. what kind strings, and what gauge are you using?