PDA

View Full Version : EBAY DT Frankenstein Alert

michaelomiya
01-04-2004, 05:57 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2370293888&category=47069

No serial number given - my guess is that it's between 1992-1994(?) based on the Kahler hardware and configuration.

WHY would anyone do this to an Anderson? :mad: Replaced the neck p/up w/ a Duncan 'Lil '59 (similar to the M p/up's - but probably NOT in tone or function), pulled out the hard rock maple neck and replaced w/ a Warmoth (?) w/ RW board :confused: - gasp! Couldn't determine whether the electronics had been modified - the volume knob may have been swapped out. The set-up is probably awful (especially compared to the TAG factory work).

Didn't see these guys on the "official" dealers list, and I'd guess that an act like this would prompt TAG to pull your account.

michaelomiya
01-04-2004, 06:05 PM
update: the bridge p/up has been replaced:confused:, the tone (not volume) knob's missing, another strap lock hole's been drilled in between the 2 normal strap buttons, blem's on the top and bottom....

the horror!!:eek:

The worst - another Anderson neck, dislodged from its body, floating around for someone to try and slap onto some plank body and pass off as the REAL thing!:mad:

dpeterson
01-04-2004, 08:45 PM
i dont even think it's an anderson body.. look there is no drop to the drop top :) (forearm contour) You can even see the edges of the decal used for the logo.

i sent roy an email about this a few days ago.

Dave

100watt
01-05-2004, 03:12 PM
THE HORROR!

pluto
01-05-2004, 05:38 PM
I saw that "thing" on ebay this morning. My initial thought was, "that's strange, why would you take out an Anderson neck for a generic replacement neck?" I would've just sold the original guitar off and buy another used Anderson with my neck of preference than do what that person did. Oh well-different strokes for different folks I guess. I didn't noticed the lack of "drop" on the droptop-I'll take a look at the link again.

michaelomiya
01-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by pluto
I saw that "thing" on ebay this morning. My initial thought was, "that's strange, why would you take out an Anderson neck for a generic replacement neck?" I would've just sold the original guitar off and buy another used Anderson with my neck of preference than do what that person did. Oh well-different strokes for different folks I guess. I didn't noticed the lack of "drop" on the droptop-I'll take a look at the link again.

Mr. Peterson's got the eyes of an eagle - didn't notice that it wasn't a DT until he pointed it out!;)

pluto
01-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
Mr. Peterson's got the eyes of an eagle - didn't notice that it wasn't a DT until he pointed it out!;)

Yeah, I agree-I gotta get my eyes fixed. I just took a look at the link. It was kind of hard to tell because of the flat picture, but it appears there is no contour.

killerburst
01-05-2004, 08:12 PM
[i]i dont even think it's an anderson body.. look there is no drop to the drop top (forearm contour) [/B]

It's not a Drop Top, but it does look like an Anderson body ca. 1990-early '91. Before the Drop Top there was the Grand Am Lam. The cavity shape, electronics control pattern and trem spring cavity with no screws all adds up to the real deal. Also the truss rod route and overall body profile look right. The logo decal on the headstock looks funny, but I get the feeling that this guitar began its poor life as an Anderson, only to be butchered and mutilated by some tasteless hack. If it were $500 less, I'd buy it just to try and bring it back to life somewhat. But at the price they're asking, you shouldn't have any doubts about the guitar's pedigree.

nickdahl
01-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Just an update...someone bought this guitar for $1,150.

Nick

michaelomiya
01-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by nickdahl
Just an update...someone bought this guitar for $1,150.

Nick

wow what a bummer...someone oughta forward our posts to the buyer before he/she remits payment...at least they'll know that their $$$ are going towards a questionable (at best) product, and that the authenticity of the guitar is in serious question!

nickdahl
01-25-2004, 11:07 AM
The buyer of this guitar is now auctioning off the neck. Here's the URL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2375182288&category=41423

Nick

oscar100
01-25-2004, 12:46 PM
i thought tom always kept replaced neck - this guuy says he's getting a replacement from TA....?

:(

tom
01-25-2004, 05:11 PM
the owner emailed me, and i told him the policy. he's doing what he's doing anyway, can't stop him. the guitar doesn't have a real neckplate either.maybe he's happy with the neck that is on it.