PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Neck?

Jarrett
01-04-2004, 12:38 PM
If I have a used Tom and would like a different neck profile/wood, is it possible to get a different neck for it? Thanks in advance.

Stan Malinowski
01-04-2004, 12:44 PM
I just had one replaced on a Anderson Classic. Approximate cost is $500 + shipping costs (both ways). It is also Anderson's policy not to return the original neck. It is destroyed to prevent building of "bogus" Andersons. It takes about 3 months from the time your payment is received at Anderson but your guitar only needs to be shippe after the neck is complete (at about the 2 month point).

Jarrett
01-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Ouch, that's hefty. Thanks for the info.

Stan Malinowski
01-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Actually when you think about what you are getting for the money the price is not really that bad.

First, take the cost of a decent replacement neck from Warmoth or USACG - about $175, to which you must add the following that is included in the Anderson price:

- Finish $100
- Install Nut $65
- Level, Crown & Polish Frets $100
- Neck Installation $65
- Complete Set-Up of Guitar $65

Total about $470+

Also remember with "generic" replacement necks they come with a "standard" neck pocket set of dimensions. EACH Anderson neck is hand-fitted to a particular body for that legendary tight Anderson fit.

pluto
01-05-2004, 01:58 PM
I agree with Stan-the price isn't too bad. For the price of the neck, the super cool SS frets, the labor and getting everything set up correctly by Bruce, I thought I was getting my money's worth especially since I wanted a different neck on the guitar.

bigdaddyd
11-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Don't forget the Buzz Feiten system that is applied. That is a hefty cost to add to your Warmoth. Tom made me a new neck for the Anderson that I have in the classifieds. It was $500 as stated above. I sent him the rest of the guitar, and he built the neck to my spec, custom fit it to the body, matched the paint on the headstock to that of the body (from an '86), fretted, and finished the neck, reassembled the guitar, installed the feiten system, and setup the guitar. It essentially left as a new guitar.

wodka
11-16-2005, 07:18 PM
The cost isn't bad compared to Warmoth, but I disagree with them keeping the original neck. You paid for it, it is yours. However, I don't have a good suggestion as to how to prevent bogus Andersons from being created. I guess removing the decal and maybe branding the neck with an identifier would work. Apart from the Atom, you can build something that looks similar to an Anderson, but you won't be able to forge the serial number. I would never buy a user TAG if the specs ties to the serial number did not match the company records.

tom
11-16-2005, 07:28 PM
not everyone is as smart as you are. we get calls nearly every week about forgeries. it's a problem for us, but a bigger problem for those who buy them. i guessing there are many people who have bought them an have not called us to verify authenticity. they just think their anderson is as good as that peavy raptor their friend owns. we do not sell necks, we exchange them. if you can't live with us keeping the old neck there's always warmoth or others.

HiG
11-16-2005, 07:42 PM
I had the neck replaced on one of my Andersons and the fit and finish was absolutely flawless.