PDA

View Full Version : Switcheroo on Cobra with M1, M1, M3

Hollow Cobra S
01-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi Tom,

I want to get a Cobra S equipped with 3 mini humbuckers, and I would like to have switcheroo on it. Do you offer this option currently? Thanks.

jimmieb
01-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Excellent question! I'm also interested in that. What about vintage voicing?

Jimmie B

tom
01-04-2004, 12:28 AM
the m1's are made to be humbuckers always. they sound too small when you split them. think of them as big va's, you could do any wiring scheme that would work with them. the m3 splits nicely.

Hollow Cobra S
01-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Thank you very much, Tom. If I only want 2 mini humbuckers on my Cobra S, what models do you recommend and how would you wire them? Thanks, again.

tom
01-05-2004, 01:04 AM
i'd do m1 and m3. 5 way would be 1.neck only 2.neck and bridge split 3.neck and bridge 4.bridge split 5 bridge
i did a little proto with just two, and i did normal cobra wiring, and the m1 split was just too small sounding.

Hollow Cobra S
01-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Thank you very much, Tom. Do you have other great ideas for wiring M1, M1, and M3 besides B5? Thank you.

tom
01-05-2004, 11:56 AM
i am a simple guy when it coes to plaing live, well maybe all the time is more correct. i listened to all the possible sounds and picked the 6 i liked the best and put them on the 5 way with one additional push pull sound. 1 .neck 2.middle 3.neck and bridge split 4. middle and bridge split 5. bridge pushpull splits bridge in 5 only. i put the bridge split on the pushpull because i hardly ever use it. everything else is a simple 5 way motion. it doesn't allow for all combinations, but i didn't find a use for the other stuff live. either it was too close to one of the other sounds, or it didn't cut through enough.

Roy (maybe)
01-05-2004, 12:36 PM
If I may join in, another switching option that seems to make the most universal sense for most players, who have not yet had the opportunity to try all the possible M-Series sounds, is a 5-Way with a Bridge Split and Push/Pull. It is not as specialized as the “Tom-wiring” but even more versatile than the B5--for those who may also want to do the M2 or M3 split alone at the bridge on occasion. This set-up should give all usable combinations and would be my choice for most players. Its only drawback is that when using the splitter function you may, on occasion, need to double click to get to full power bridge for soloing.

A 5-Way set up this way gives:

Position 1: Neck (series only)
Position 1 with Push/Pull activated: Neck + Bridge (neck series, bridge series or split)

Position 2: Neck + Middle (series only)
Position 2 with Push/Pull activated: Neck + Middle + Bridge (neck & middle series only, bridge series or split)

Position 3: Middle (series only)
Position 4:Middle + Bridge (middle series only, bridge series or split)

Position 5: Bridge (series or split)

oscar100
01-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Roy -

im putting M1 M1 M3 into my walnut cobra - its got a push pull but no mini splitter....

i want to do

Position 1: Neck (series only)
Position 1 with Push/Pull activated: Neck + Bridge (neck series, bridge split)
Position 2: Neck + Middle (series only)
Position 2 with Push/Pull activated: Neck + Middle + Bridge (neck & middle series only, bridge split)
Position 3: Middle (series only)
Position 4:Middle + Bridge (middle series only, bridge split)
Position 5: Bridge (series)
Position 5 with Push/Pull activated -bridge split

Can i do this?

do i need a special wiring diagram?

Jo

tom
01-26-2004, 11:17 PM
i'm not roy but i do know the answer. it is yes you can have that. the wiring can stay as is. you will use the other half of the pushpull switch to short the green and white from the bridge pickup to ground.