PDA

View Full Version : gotoh locking tuners...

dpeterson
01-02-2004, 11:30 AM
On the alder classic i just got there are some gotoh locking tuners that are different from my anderson branded locking on another dt classic i have. These just clamp the string around the post instead of going through the post and tightening.

I'm not too hip on just clamping it up there, would prefer it to go through the post. Can i get some of the newer gotoh locking tuners and not have to redrill for the screw holes?

can i get these from anderson or do i have to get them from another supplier?

tom?

Thanks,
Dave

John C
01-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Dave,

Are those Gotohs or Grovers with that top lock style? It seems that Tom used to use the Grovers that just kind of pinched the string as it wrapped around the post.

If the current Anderson branded Gotohs won't fit without redrilling, you might try the Grover locking tuners. I had these self-locking Grovers on a Melancon that passed through the house. They work the same as the Anderson Gotohs, but the tuner "chassis" might line up better with the holes on the neck.

John C.

dpeterson
01-02-2004, 02:24 PM
you know, they are grovers ;) uggh... the newer grovers i looked at have a different button which i dont care for as much as this one. hmm guess i'll just live with it, unless i can swap out the buttons.

thanks,
Dave

tom
01-02-2004, 02:41 PM
the new grover locking tuners do not have the same hole pattern as the old ones. the body of the new ones is larger as well. there is a conspiresy(sp) in the tuner business, every tuner from every manufacturer has the screw hole in a different location so that it is difficult for manufacturers to switch brands. well maybe not really, but it sure feels like it.

pappy
01-02-2004, 03:00 PM
My new Drop Top Classic has what looks like a hole (which was filled with a small dowel) between two of the tuners. Is this due a change in tuners?

10-18-03T

Pappy

John C
01-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by tom
the new grover locking tuners do not have the same hole pattern as the old ones. the body of the new ones is larger as well. there is a conspiresy(sp) in the tuner business, every tuner from every manufacturer has the screw hole in a different location so that it is difficult for manufacturers to switch brands. well maybe not really, but it sure feels like it.

Tom - Thanks for the information; I had a guitar with the locking Grovers but never saw them side-by-side with the older ones you (and Ernie Ball) used to use. I think you may be right that each manufacturer makes a different hole pattern to lock both builders and consumers into their brand.

Dave - Sorry for any misinformation from my post; I thought that might be a solution for you.

John C.

tom
01-02-2004, 08:39 PM
pappy, that dowel hole is a tooling hole that has been there from the beginning. it is on every neck we have ever made. years ago i thought about removing it and putting it somewhere less conspicuous but it has come in handy lots of times to authenticate our necks from others, so it stays.

dpeterson
01-02-2004, 09:07 PM
g&l has the same type of hole that is doweled on their necks too.

Dave

pappy
01-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for responding. I figured it was something like that. One of your necks (allegedly) is on Ebay and I noticed the dowel just after I posted my message. Funny. I gues it's the real thing after all. 8-)

Pappy

pappy
01-02-2004, 11:29 PM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for responding. I figured it was something like that. One of your necks (allegedly) is on Ebay and I noticed the dowel just after I posted my message. Funny. I gues it's the real thing after all. 8-)

Pappy