PDA

View Full Version : i could buy an amp for that $$$$$

Suriel Zayas
10-28-2005, 03:52 PM
did you guys see this cjod on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7359897333&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1). makes my electrosonic thermosonic look like a real bargain or am i a little off the rocker.

tom
10-28-2005, 06:50 PM
there was a way huge pedal on there a while back for $5000 :eek:

guitarzan
10-29-2005, 09:54 AM
over on the gear page, there was a guy entertaining offers for his dumble in the $35- $45k range. That's a lotta dough for an electric box that makes my guitar louder (as my wife would describe it).

tom
10-29-2005, 11:06 AM
he'll probably get that much for it.

guitarzan
10-29-2005, 11:16 AM
To me, it comes down to the diminishing returns thing. Is that amp really ONE HUNDRED TIMES BETTER than a Crate? Is it TEN TIMES BETTER than the highest priced boutique amps around?

And with these pedals, don't get me wrong, I salivate over ToneLounge's collection of Way Huge effects, and I'd love to be able to buy some of that (Saffron Squeeze!) for myself. But does it sound 5 or 10 times better than than other brands. And once you've answered all of these, does it sound that many times better after the band comes in (in a live setting) or after the mix engineer has compressd and eq'd your tracks (in a session situation)?

Guitars are a different story. I believe my HTC is 10 times better than any other tele I've played. But that is a tactile thing.

Pedals and amps? I dunno, I think it's the mojo fairy.

guitarzan
10-29-2005, 11:17 AM
of course it hasn't stopped me from spending truck loads of money searching for the perfect amp and pedal setup...

Anybody wanna buy a Thermosonic? :)

Suriel Zayas
10-29-2005, 11:18 AM
over on the gear page, there was a guy entertaining offers for his dumble in the $35- $45k range. That's a lotta dough for an electric box that makes my guitar louder (as my wife would describe it).
yup.....i've seen that one. i'm sure that after moving a few pedals, i'll be only $34k-$44k short :rolleyes:

olectric
10-29-2005, 11:48 AM
of course it hasn't stopped me from spending truck loads of money searching for the perfect amp and pedal setup...

Anybody wanna buy a Thermosonic? :)

You're done with the Thermo already??

guitarzan
10-29-2005, 11:49 AM
naw... there hasn't been enough time to formally form a rationalization for flipping it yet. That takes AT LEAST a week. :)

tom
10-29-2005, 05:59 PM
the dumble $ aren't about how good it is, any more than 250k for a sunburst les paul. a dumble is great, and i've played great les pauls. but when there's only a small number, the sky's the limit. it's collectable art.

bud
10-29-2005, 07:10 PM
naw... there hasn't been enough time to formally form a rationalization for flipping it yet. That takes AT LEAST a week. :)

Now is the week to figure out if you really don't like it, or to find what you'll buy with the proceeds of said "flip" :)

bud
10-29-2005, 07:11 PM
but when there's only a small number, the sky's the limit. it's collectable art.

If this were only true for my 1972 Tama Acoustic

guitarzan
10-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Now is the week to figure out if you really don't like it, or to find what you'll buy with the proceeds of said "flip" :)

Right now, there's almost nothing I'd like to try. I couldn't be any happier with my Lone Star Special rig (still in the honeymoon?).

For the first time since I can remember I got asked for a sound at a sideman gig and I couldn't deliver it, so I might look at getting a trem pedal. And if I were looking for something to purchase at the flip of this amp, I might consider some other fun sound texture pedals and upgrading my compressor (which I leave on lightly all the time for some extra spank). But even those purchases would be me looking for something to buy.

olectric
10-30-2005, 03:33 PM
Right now, there's almost nothing I'd like to try. I couldn't be any happier with my Lone Star Special rig (still in the honeymoon?).

For the first time since I can remember I got asked for a sound at a sideman gig and I couldn't deliver it, so I might look at getting a trem pedal. And if I were looking for something to purchase at the flip of this amp, I might consider some other fun sound texture pedals and upgrading my compressor (which I leave on lightly all the time for some extra spank). But even those purchases would be me looking for something to buy.

Before I had a trem pedal, I rocked the snot out of my volume pedal when I needed that effect. It works fine for really wide trem, but forget about the faster, choppy stuff.

I've got a Demeter Tremulator now that I couldn't be happier with. Or Frisell-ier. :)

Suriel Zayas
10-30-2005, 06:58 PM
so I might look at getting a trem pedal.
didn't you get rid of the supa-trem just like me? remember the guy at namm who had a trem-like pedal, but it was a panning type that you could only hear the effect in stereo. it was a great concept because you could control the speed/tempo by rocking the pedal (optical). but how many people are carrying 2 amps around?

guitarzan
10-30-2005, 07:36 PM
didn't you get rid of the supa-trem just like me? remember the guy at namm who had a trem-like pedal, but it was a panning type that you could only hear the effect in stereo. it was a great concept because you could control the speed/tempo by rocking the pedal (optical). but how many people are carrying 2 amps around?

yeah I dumped my supa trem because it was like a stack of $50 bills on my pedal board... but that was before some cat wanted me to sound like a Chris Isaack tune and my response was to sit there looking at the vacancy where that stack of $50 bills used to live on my board.

It's all maddening, to be honest. Why can't I just have perfect tone and perfect technique without all of this pomp and circumstance???