PDA

View Full Version : Volume knob "tension"

ctoddrun
10-19-2005, 09:30 AM
I've got two Andys.

A Classic that is older and perfect in every way.

A Hollow Drop top that is from '03 and is perfect in every way with one small exception.

The volume knob is SO easy to turn that I inadvertedly adjust it while playing.

I dont want to lower the knob to come into contact with the finish to help. At one point I considered a little felt "washer" between the knob and the finish, but that didnt work out as I'd hoped.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem or did I just get the only Andy in the world with a volume knob SO easy to turn that you could blow on it and watch it spin?

bruce
10-20-2005, 02:14 AM
It's not that uncommon. They do eventually wear out. In the past we jumped around using different potentiometers from different suppliers hoping to get the best performer while dealing with availibility. The pots we've been using in the past couple of years are the best yet. To answer your question, it seems yours has worn out. You can get a replacement by calling the shop.

Duotones
10-20-2005, 10:44 AM
It's not that uncommon. They do eventually wear out. In the past we jumped around using different potentiometers from different suppliers hoping to get the best performer while dealing with availibility. The pots we've been using in the past couple of years are the best yet. To answer your question, it seems yours has worn out. You can get a replacement by calling the shop.

Bruce,

You told that you used several different potentiometers from different suppliers.

Volume pots in my drop tops (circa 1994 and 1995) looked to be from CTS, but volume pot in my classic (2003) looked to be from different supplier. Potentiometer of my classic is much smaller that that of my drop top, but it is much easier to turn, but IMHO, it's too easy to turn.

I want to know which potentiometer you use. CTS, alpha, or WD?

Some guys in lespaul forum told that volume pots affect tone, but my opinion is the change is too subtle to find out. :D How do you think about this opinion?

Thanks,

Jinwon Seo

tom
10-20-2005, 11:36 AM
we now use alpha. it is easier to turn than the cts, but not like what was described above. the taper of the pot can affect the tone greatly. we used cts for years, then they got very stiff, and had lots of trouble with end resistance which you will notice when you turn it all the way down. if there is end resistance, it will not go all the way off. tha alpha has a very nice turn on ramp yet still goes all the way off. we use the smaller (16mm) pot because the larger(24 mm) was very stiff feeling.

Duotones
10-20-2005, 11:50 AM
we now use alpha. it is easier to turn than the cts, but not like what was described above. the taper of the pot can affect the tone greatly. we used cts for years, then they got very stiff, and had lots of trouble with end resistance which you will notice when you turn it all the way down. if there is end resistance, it will not go all the way off. tha alpha has a very nice turn on ramp yet still goes all the way off. we use the smaller (16mm) pot because the larger(24 mm) was very stiff feeling.

Thanks for info, Tom

As you mentioned, taper can afect the tone greatly. So far as I know, there are two types of taper present, linear taper and audio taper.

Some guys told me that audio taper is more suitable for volume pots but others told that linear taper is better. I just want to know the truth.

I always appreciate your help, Tom

Thanks,

Jinwon Seo

tom
10-20-2005, 12:19 PM
if you dig deeper, there are even several different log(audio) tapers. the bottom end of the log taper varies greatly from different makers. i personally still prefer the log taper on tone controls, but i also favor a smaller value for tone caps. i like to have more of the midrange left in as i'm not a jazz guy.

chadmj
10-20-2005, 09:13 PM
This might sound dumb, but how do you know when a volume knob is worn out? My DT rolls very easy too and I do move it by accident when I play.
The volume pot does not make any noise and it does not cut out so I would consider it not worn out. Unless... the symptom of it being very easy to turn classifies it as being worn out.
Is there a cost to replace? If so, what would it cost?

Thanks
Chad

bruce
10-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Chad,

The 500K pot itself is about $7. The labor cost will vary depending on the repairman or luthier, but should generaly be in the $20 range.