PDA

View Full Version : is it me or does this fretwave thing seem goofy?

dpeterson
12-29-2003, 08:04 PM
frank gambale and steve vai have it on thier guitars.. i wonder what it gives that buzz feiten does not?

http://www.fretwave.com/images/closeuo.jpg

tom
12-29-2003, 10:11 PM
nunzio, franks brother brought it out for me to try a couple years ago. it sounded fine in the lower register, but didn't sound as in tune in the higher register. how the heck do you refret and crown those things?

Tom Gross
12-30-2003, 12:09 AM
How would you bend correctly?

Stan Malinowski
12-30-2003, 08:49 AM
Also seems like some "readjustment" in fingering for chords might be necessary.

JoeB63
12-30-2003, 10:52 AM
Well, I just bought my son a used Fender Cyclone for $325. A pretty nice guitar at that price, but even after I intonated it and tuned it perfectly, an open E chord is horribly out of tune. I suppose this fretwave system would fix that.

All of the guitars I regularly play have the Buzz F. thing. So I guess I'm used to hearing a well-tuned guitar now.

Any tips on the Cyclone?

Stan Malinowski
12-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Joe,

If you have a Peterson VS Tuner how about trying the GTR Temperment Tuning (sweetens the 4th & 5ths)?

tom
12-30-2003, 11:47 PM
with the feiten system, the nut is moved closer to the first fret. i have seen production guitars where the nut is longe than even standard position. it could be that this is the case. if the nut is cut too high it will make things worse also. check the string height at the first fret, and also check to see that the nut slots are cut so that the string definetly leaves the slot at the front edge. if the grooves are cut too flat, it gives the illusion that the nut is too far from the first fret.

JoeB63
12-31-2003, 01:27 AM
Much thanks Tom. I'll check those things.