PDA

View Full Version : neck size for smaller hands

MarkW
10-12-2005, 04:48 PM
how much difference is there between a cobra scale and a regular TA neck?
I have pretty small hands and was wondering if I would notice a substantial difference between the scale lengths and nut widths. Does the shorter scale increase string tension? I have been unable to find a cobra to play around my area to see if I like that neck more than my hdtc that I had previously...
what is the cobra neck most similar to? a music man or something like that?

olectric
10-12-2005, 05:16 PM
The Cobra neck is the same scale length as the Les Paul--24 3/4 inches. I don't know what to describe it as.

There is no noticeable difference to me. I have smallish hands, and both my Atom (same neck as Cobra) and my Hollow Classic (Strat scale-length neck) feel GREAT. The shorter scale length on Atoms and Cobras actually decreases tension, making bends much easier.

Now, my fingers are pretty thick, so I really like a wider nut. I crave the precious real estate that a 1 11/16 in. nut gives over the 1 5/8 in. nut.

For me, scale length is not noticeable (except when bending strings) but nut width is.

GaryMcT
10-12-2005, 07:15 PM
I agree completely. Actually, playing a Crowdster made me wonder if I don't want higher than a 1 11/16 for my fat fingers. :)

Duotones
10-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Shorter Scale usually decreases tension. And I loves the playability of cobra.

billyguitar
10-23-2005, 10:38 AM
I have very small hands but prefer a larger neck and the 25-1/2" scale. The larger necks fill up my hand better and give me more support. The longer scale length seems to allow a higher set of harmonics, if that makes any sense. The Tom Anderson guitars and pickups seem to pick up more of those harmonics on the 24-3/4" scale guitars, more than Gibsons anyway. Almost to the point that I'm starting to get very interested in an Atom with a Bigsby.

HiG
10-24-2005, 12:07 PM
If you can, do try before you buy. I have I guess what you would call average size hands, about a 9-10 glove, with pretty thick fingers. My first TA had a 1 11/16 standard backshape, and like you I wanted something to fill the hand better. I had the neck replaced with a +.050" version with the same nut width. It felt immediately better, but I still didn't like the way the shoulder area (where it transitions to the fretboard) felt. I had another TA with a +.030" and didn't like it either. What ended up being perfect for me was a 1 5/8 nut width with a +.050 backshape. Yes, the real estate is a little more crowded at the first couple of frets, but for me the comfort as you go up the neck is well worth it. I would have never guessed that a narrower neck with a fatter back would have done it for me, as I have a Martin with a 1 7/8 width nut that I love. I guess it all boils down to personal preference more than anything else, and one of the main reasons I switched over to TAG is because of the options they offer. Standing versus sitting also makes a big difference, so you might want to consider that as well. Having been a 25 1/2" scale player most of my life, I haven't had any experience with Cobras or Atoms, so I can't vouch for those neck sizes. The Atom intrigues me, however, so a drive to Charley's is imminent. Good luck.

Marty S Horne
10-25-2005, 02:23 PM
I notice a big difference in scale lengths. Having short fingers, 24 3/4" scale lengths just feel better to me. Everything just feels more "reachable". As for nut width I'm still not sure; wider necks feel better to me for chording and playing fingerstyle but narrower feels better for single note soloing. I definitely prefer the feel of fatter necks to thin ones.

MapleGuitar
10-25-2005, 06:16 PM
I also notice a big difference in scale lengths. While I love the easier string bendability with short-scale guitars, they always feels too crammed. Maybe it's because I'm tall, with long piano-playing fingers.

Unlike Chet Atkins, I struggle to go back and forth between different guitars... meaning I could never have a Classic and a Cobra at the same gig. Also, to me, the longer scale let's me be more expressive with tone. Hard to explain. But each time I've tried a Cobra, and most recently the Atom, I invariably give up and return to the 25.5" scale guitars.