PDA

View Full Version : Refret shops in North Texas

Devnor
10-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Hey I see a few guys in the N Texas area here :) While I'm waiting for my first Anderson to arrive I need to get a 1980 LP Standard refretted. This one is my "baby" so I'm looking for opinions or other suggestions. The few I know are:

Charley's (my local Anderson dealer)
Dan McCarthy

The refret will be a slight PITA because binding goes over the edges of the frets. Does TAG do work on other guitars? I've considered Mike Lull too but he's extremely pricey.

If you know of someone that's done good work for you or others please let me know. I just cant take this to anyone!

Thanks!

GaryMcT
10-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Hey I see a few guys in the N Texas area here :) While I'm waiting for my first Anderson to arrive I need to get a 1980 LP Standard refretted. This one is my "baby" so I'm looking for opinions or other suggestions. The few I know are:

Charley's (my local Anderson dealer)
Dan McCarthy

The refret will be a slight PITA because binding goes over the edges of the frets. Does TAG do work on other guitars? I've considered Mike Lull too but he's extremely pricey.

If you know of someone that's done good work for you or others please let me know. I just cant take this to anyone!

Thanks!

Mike Lull does extremely good work. Plus you can get it Feitenized at the same time! I just had him Feitenize my strat, and I've seen a couple of his refret jobs which were really good.

GaryMcT
10-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Mike Lull does extremely good work. Plus you can get it Feteinized at the same time! I just had him Feteinize my strat, and I've seen a couple of his refret jobs which were really good.

I guess I'm lucky since Mike Lull's shop is a 5-minute drive from my house. :)

bruce
10-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Well, I've Feitenized Gibsons and they turn out ok, but not great.. The fret placement is a bit inconsistant. In the end, they don't sound as true as an Anderson or even a Fender.

As far as refretting, normally I could help you but I am too busy to accept any new outside work until December. You can expect to pay around $375 for that with the binding... that's what I charge and most guys here in So Cal. arecharging the same.

GaryMcT
10-06-2005, 08:33 PM
I should add that the Feitenized strat didn't turn out as well as an Anderson, mostly likely because I didn't get a refret at the same time, and some of my frets are getting pretty flat.

bruce
10-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Flat frets don't work as well either.

Sixx
10-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Bryant at Charley's did a great job refretting a 1980s Kramer Stagemaster for me recently.

I woud bring it buy and let him look at it.