PDA

View Full Version : Tonebone anyone?

John Price
12-28-2003, 01:17 PM
I'm thinking of trying the Tonebone classic pedal and would like to know if anybody here has one or might have tried it?

Thanks....

Stan Malinowski
12-28-2003, 01:51 PM
I bought one used about 2 months ago. It has replaced my previous favorite a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 on my pedalboard.

A WIDE variety of tones available. I've found the "cookbook recipe" for Eric Johnson tones to be my favorite. Sounds good with single coils and humbuckers. Good sounds thru both my Dr Z Maz 18 & my Bad Cat Mini Cat.

When I run my Zvex Super Duper Boost in front of the TB Classic WATCH OUT...it is over the top!

John Price
12-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Stan, What do you find different from the fulltone and the tonebone?
Can you still get that just pushed setting on the tone bone simular to the compcut with the overdrive at about 12:00
I have the fulltone full-drive 2 also but the reviews on this tonebone classic really have me wanting to check one out!!!

Stan Malinowski
12-29-2003, 05:20 AM
John,

To me a couple of noticeable differences:

1) Tonebone is much fuller and rounder. Still very transparent.
2) Increased harmonics w/the Tonebone
3) Tonebone is much more flexible, more diverse tones.

Downside of the Tonebone is that is only single channel, FD2 has the two channels.

I believe I understand the FD2 tone you referenced and if so the TB can be tweaked for that tone.

Tonebones have pretty good resale value. If you can get a used one you would have little problem reselling it for the same price if it isn't for you.

John Price
12-29-2003, 10:10 AM
Thanks Stan!
I have my eye's on ebay....:D

pluto
12-29-2003, 12:25 PM
I used to have both the Classic and the Hot British before Denis Rozon sold the tonebone name to Radial. Great distortion pedals with the classic having a voicing more to my liking. I ended up selling both as I liked my SIB Varidrive better, but I eventually sold the SIB too as I tend to like amp od more than pedal od/dis. I should also add (I'm editing this post) that I did not like the tonebone because of the need for a wallwart. It also wasn't the best when cleaning up while using your guitar's volume control. Otherwise, the classic was smooth-was pretty versatile, and most importantly, didn't sound like a pedal.

Stan Malinowski
12-30-2003, 08:42 AM
Pluto makes an EXCELLENT comment, the Tonebone Classic doesn't sound like a pedal. It really does sound like a natural extension of your amp.