PDA

View Full Version : Make a list: Pop albums with ridiculously awesome guitar

olectric
10-04-2005, 05:26 PM
My list:

Sting's stuff with Dominic Miller (Soul Cages, Brand New Day, ect...)
James Taylor's live stuff with Mike Landau
Sco's new Ray Charles tribute album (pretty poppy for Sco)
Audio Adrenaline's Lift
Ryan Adams' Heartbreaker
ANY James Brown

Good tones all around, tasteful guitar work. I know that Audio A and Ryan Adams aren't really known for their playing abilities, but their albums are full of good guitar sounds all around. Lift by Audio A just has awesome LP tones, and Ryan Adams is great at layering guitar parts.

bud
10-04-2005, 08:25 PM
+1 on James Taylor w/ Landau

My absolute fave of all time-
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam (it goes way beyond the Carlton solos on Kid Charlemagne and Don't Take Me Alive, the rhythm parts on the record are just stellar)

others

Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstacy (Boddisatva and King of the World contain the greatest bebop solo's ever played in pop music, Denny Dias is da man)

The Grays - Ro Sham Beau (mispelled, I'm sure) the shortlived Jason Faulkner - Jon Brion collaboration, layers of guitar and killer tones and parts

Pages - Pages (Jay Graydon produced and played) this is the band that became Mr. Mister.

harrellab
10-05-2005, 12:59 AM
so many albums come to mind, but here's a few...Richard Marx with Landau, Bryan Adams stuff, Shania Twain and Faith Hill with Michael Thompson et al., Seal

ToneLounge
10-05-2005, 01:08 AM
U2 - Joshua Tree
Jellyfish - Spilt Milk
The Beatles - entire catalog!
Toy Matinee (w/Tim Pierce on guitar)

And Bud's excelent suggestion of The Greys.

ToneLounge
10-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Jet
Maroon 5
David Crowder Band
Cheap Trick
Frampton

Arrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh - I like too many different tones!

guitarzan
10-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Edwin McCain's "Messenger" has some of my all-time favorite tones and solos. It's one of the three cd's that I can revisit any time I need to hear tasty guitar playing. ("Sign on the Door" is always my go-to.)

olectric
10-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Tim Pierce...he's awesome. What can I find him on (besides Matinee)?

bud
10-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Tonelounge will have more info but Tim released a solo album in 1995 "Guitarland" which is stunning. I believe it is out of print.

I believe he has done a bunch of GooGoo dolls and I think you can hear him on the Tarzan (animated) Movie soundtrack and countless other stuff like that. Also check out his demo on the Xotic website

Tim's demo (http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/xotic/effects/musicians/pages/tim_pierce.html)

Forgot about Toy Matinee, that should have made my list as well.

dannopelli
10-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Toto
Journey
Eagles

brian b
10-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Still like
Audio A. Bloom
D.C.Talk Jesus freak
great tone and fun.

killerburst
10-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Prince- pretty much all of 'em
George Benson- Breezin'
David Bowie- Modern Love
Roger Waters- the one with Jeff Beck (or is that Rock?)

Sixx
10-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Journey...
Toto...
Van Halen (some of it is pop)
Marvelous 3

brian b
10-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Forgot to add
Bon Jovi Richie Sambora's tone is simple and fun
Queen who could argue with Brian May.