PDA

View Full Version : Floyd rose question

Devnor
09-28-2005, 03:02 PM
Does the floyd rose bridge in the Classic model "float"?

bigdaddyd
09-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Doesn't that depend on the setup, or do you mean from the factory?

Devnor
09-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Factory setup

tom
09-28-2005, 03:55 PM
standard is floating in a recessed cavity. some people order them blaocked so they only go down.

Devnor
09-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Thank you Tom... I'm trying to get away from the blocked-style floyd.

Duotones
09-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Tom,

Is there any tonal difference between floatying-type floyd and blocked-type one.

I've heard that blocked type floyd provides longer sustain. I had played some guitars with blocked type floyd (Kramer and Musicman) but I didn't feel any tonal advantages. (I love Eddie Van Halen but I don't think blocked-type floyd are of better sound.)

In fact, I think that blocked-type floyd has more disadvantages than recessed-type; First of all, adequate setup may be difficult (usually String height of guitars with blocked type floyd is usually too high for me.).

I want to hear Tom's opinion.

Thanks,

Jinwon Seo

Devnor
09-29-2005, 02:08 PM
The reason I'm going back to floating trems is for finer trem control. Just cant seem to get a decent vibrato on these blocked trems. I suppose I'll find out soon enough; I just pulled the trigger on my first Anderson :D

tom
09-29-2005, 03:29 PM
ours are recessed either way. setup would also be the same as well. sound better? better is a hard word. to me , blocked has a bit more bass, but it is a matter of taste.

dpeterson
09-30-2005, 07:26 AM
ours are recessed either way. setup would also be the same as well. sound better? better is a hard word. to me , blocked has a bit more bass, but it is a matter of taste.

you also get the ability to bend notes without the other strings slacking when it's blocked. i havent noticed a change in tone, must be very subtle. some people diss the floyd for sustain reasons, another thing i've never had a problem with.

i prefer it unblocked (floating) i like the slinky feel of an unblocked floyd tuned to Eb.

dave