PDA

View Full Version : atom question

pluto
09-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Alrighty-although I first didn't really care for the looks of the atom, I gotta admit it's growing on me. The thought of having a single cut les paul based guitar with consistent build quality and better playability has made the looks of the atom even more appealing. My question is for those who have played lots of les pauls before, how close does the atom get to being a les paul? Does it have that thick mid, bottom chunk of a les paul or is it missing the bottom with the mids more spread out and with a sweet top end like a cobra? Also, I did a search already on the atom, and some people say the neck is like a cobra. But, is the taper the same? thanks in advance, Mark

guitarzan
09-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Alrighty-although I first didn't really care for the looks of the atom, I gotta admit it's growing on me.

The first time I saw Eddie on the cover of Guitar World in '91 with his new signature Ernie Ball, I was angry at him for attaching his name to something that I thought was silly looking. Now I would call the wolfgangs and eb's some of my favorite body shapes because they broke out of the box in terms of body design. My knee-jerk rxn to the Atom was that I didn't care for it (mainly because I don't like LPs), but I find myself coveting the Atom more than any other guitar in existence. The experience feels very similar to how I feel about the Wolfgangs. The Atom shape feels "conservatively eccentric" (like Mr. Maybe) which is a welcome departure from lawsuit guitar shapes.

-didn't mean to hijack the neck taper question....

*... we now return to our show in progress*

tom
09-13-2005, 12:59 PM
i'll let others talk about the tone, although i used to play les pauls pretty much all the time. i'm playing the mmh version because i wanted more than the les paul could offer.
the neck is the same shape as the cobra, same taper, same size. we will be offering other shapes as well, just not yet.

pluto
09-13-2005, 01:13 PM
i'll let others talk about the tone, although i used to play les pauls pretty much all the time. i'm playing the mmh version because i wanted more than the les paul could offer.
the neck is the same shape as the cobra, same taper, same size. we will be offering other shapes as well, just not yet.

Tom, will you have the TA standard neck for the atom? If so, do you think it will have an effect on the tone? I keep reading how everybody swears the tone on the thicker neck (57-59 baseball bat size) les pauls and hamers sound better than their thinner neck counterparts.

pluto
09-13-2005, 01:19 PM
The first time I saw Eddie on the cover of Guitar World in '91 with his new signature Ernie Ball, I was angry at him for attaching his name to something that I thought was silly looking. Now I would call the wolfgangs and eb's some of my favorite body shapes because they broke out of the box in terms of body design. My knee-jerk rxn to the Atom was that I didn't care for it (mainly because I don't like LPs), but I find myself coveting the Atom more than any other guitar in existence. The experience feels very similar to how I feel about the Wolfgangs. The Atom shape feels "conservatively eccentric" (like Mr. Maybe) which is a welcome departure from lawsuit guitar shapes.

-didn't mean to hijack the neck taper question....

*... we now return to our show in progress*

To be honest, I am still on the fence with the looks because the lack of a carve top, but as I mentioned, it's growing on me. I think it's the smaller body that's making it look more appealing for me. But more importantly, it's the tone that's most appealing. I've been eyeing out les pauls for some time, but I keep backing off because of their lack of consistency and also because the ones I've played are just too heavy with absolutely no upper fret access at all. The Atom or John Suhr's set neck (if it ever comes out) would be an obvious solution.

guitarzan
09-13-2005, 01:27 PM
I totally understand. And I (unfortunately) take this holistic approach to being a guitar player in that the look of the guitar hanging on me is as important as the notes I play. I apologize to anyone who feels that same way because I see it as a sickness in myself. At 32, I still stand in front of the miror holding a guitar (only now, it's a HTC or a HDTC). On one hand, you could see it as shallow, on the other you could recognize that if you're on this forum you're playing works of art so it doesn't feel so shallow after all.

I would be 10x the player that I am if I didn't care so much about stage looks. But there's also some real self assurance in playing a UNIQUE piece of art like the Atom (or the EB in the early 90's). The guitar is gonna turn heads, so you gotta BRING IT when it comes time to play.

crash
09-13-2005, 02:23 PM
At 32, I still stand in front of the miror holding a guitar (only now, it's a HTC or a HDTC)...

I do this too - and I'm 37. I usually end up concluding that I need to lose some weight.

I did a week-long gig this summer out in Ft. Collins, Colorado (nice town) for a room of about 5000, so it was a big room with 3 big jumbotron thingies. Every time I see pics of the event where I am on the big screen, I think the same thing:

A Cobra S would make me look a lot better. (And I need to lose the extra 30).

guitarzan
09-13-2005, 02:27 PM
this is quickly becoming a support group thread. :)

tom
09-13-2005, 02:44 PM
the ta std will be available. neck size in relation to tone is something that we could debate all day long. here's my take. i've played amazing sounding guitars with small necks, i've played amazing guitars with big necks. you will play and sound better on a guitar you are comfortable with than if you try to play a guitar with a bigger than comfortable neck.
atom was going to be a carve top at first, but i have a problem with the binding edge on my forearm, and i don't really like the sound of that much maple, so it had to go. i must admit i'm not too much of a mirror looker, but i do check from time to time, but the comfort won out on this issue.
as for size, atom is larger than our other shapes. the body is darn close to the width and length of a les paul, which has quite a bit more body behind the bridge than a strat or tele.

pluto
09-13-2005, 03:10 PM
the ta std will be available. neck size in relation to tone is something that we could debate all day long. here's my take. i've played amazing sounding guitars with small necks, i've played amazing guitars with big necks. you will play and sound better on a guitar you are comfortable with than if you try to play a guitar with a bigger than comfortable neck.
atom was going to be a carve top at first, but i have a problem with the binding edge on my forearm, and i don't really like the sound of that much maple, so it had to go. i must admit i'm not too much of a mirror looker, but i do check from time to time, but the comfort won out on this issue.
as for size, atom is larger than our other shapes. the body is darn close to the width and length of a les paul, which has quite a bit more body behind the bridge than a strat or tele.

Tom, thanks for the reply and comments. First of all, the atom to me looks kind of small in the pictures with somebody playing it. Must be an illusion. Anyway, as far as options on the neck, when do you expect this to occur (this year, next year??). Also are you planning to make a optional 1 5/8 nut width (I know it's not a Gibson nut width, but I feel way more comfortable with that nut width). Lastly, as far as your comment on carve tops, do you think the additional maple affects the tone? I just ask this because I remember asking Gene Baker the difference between his carve top and plain top guitars, and he said the difference was all in the looks but very minimal in terms of tone. Thanks.

sylvanshine
09-13-2005, 03:13 PM
My thoughts...

The quick answer to all of these questions is, just play an Atom. I honestly feel all reservations will fall away. And all your hopes will be met or exceeded.

I have an insanely expensive 1960 Les Paul Historic with Brazilian Rosewood. And then I dropped another small fortune on upgrading all of the electronics and hardware. All the stuff those Les Paul Forum guys said to do. Total cost is north of $5k.

My Atom absolutely KILLS in every side by side comparison. My #1 player by a light year.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions about tone to the best of my ability.

pluto
09-13-2005, 03:25 PM
My thoughts...

The quick answer to all of these questions is, just play an Atom. I honestly feel all reservations will fall away. And all your hopes will be met or exceeded.

I have an insanely expensive 1960 Les Paul Historic with Brazilian Rosewood. And then I dropped another small fortune on upgrading all of the electronics and hardware. All the stuff those Les Paul Forum guys said to do. Total cost is north of $5k.

My Atom absolutely KILLS in every side by side comparison. My #1 player by a light year.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions about tone to the best of my ability.

Thanks Jay for your post. That's funny about the LP uprgrades. I keep reading about the upgrades on the LP forum-bumblebee this and that, RS electronics upgrade, and of course WCR pickups! Anyway, my three questions:
1) does it have the bottom chunk of a LP?
2) Is it closer to a LP than a McCarty which to me is pretty close to a LP?
3) How heavy is your atom?
thanks, Mark

tom
09-13-2005, 04:04 PM
we have already done a few 1 5/8" atom necks. we should see some of the other backshapes early 2006. do i think the extra maple effects the tone? yes, by quite a bit. i will agree with jay on the "play one" comment. i have seen faces change greatly when people strap one on.

michaelomiya
09-13-2005, 05:40 PM
To be honest, I am still on the fence with the looks because the lack of a carve top, but as I mentioned, it's growing on me.
http://www.anubz.com/smilies/weirdlook.gif whoa. this is news.

I think it's the smaller body that's making it look more appealing for me. But more importantly, it's the tone that's most appealing.
http://anubz.com/smilies/NEW/bunny_dance.gif Very insightful!

I've been eyeing out les pauls for some time, but I keep backing off because of their lack of consistency and also because the ones I've played are just too heavy with absolutely no upper fret access at all. The Atom or John Suhr's set neck (if it ever comes out) would be an obvious solution.

The visual evolution of your conclusions.......
http://www.members.cox.net/eddyrox/yuen1.jpg
"damn....these set necks are really heavy......hey, can I really stand up w/ one of these things?.....!"

http://www.members.cox.net/eddyrox/yuen2.jpg
"whaddaya mean try an Atom?....What's an Atom?"

http://www.members.cox.net/eddyrox/yuen31.jpg
"hmm.....how should I approach the Anderson Forum after saying it's a Les Paul or nothing?!"

pluto
09-13-2005, 06:30 PM
ahhhh Mike, you crack me up bud. I am seriously tempted on the atom-if it sounds closer to a LP than a McCarty which comes somewhat close IMO, I think I'll be seriously tempted. Steve's LP's were awesome tone machines though-and ultimately you're right-if you want a LP, get a LP. However, if there is a reasonable facsimile, I'll take the better made, higher quality and lighter one.

pluto
09-13-2005, 06:32 PM
BTW-Steve's LP is rather nice. I forgot how good that one looked.

sylvanshine
09-13-2005, 08:32 PM
thanks, Mark

1) The bottom is there. But to be fair, I had an HN3 made for the bridge and moved the H2+ to the neck. There is more of everything now. Plus, I play through a Bogner Ecstasy Classic.

2) Never played a McCarty. They look nice. I gave up PRS the day I bought my first Anderson in 1999.

3) 6 lbs. 13 oz. (so much for that theory, my RO weighs 2 lbs more). Note: my Atom isn't hollow.

brian b
09-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Answer to #2
It far closer to an LP than a Mccarty have had both still own an R8 and side by side the Atom is a better fit and does alot more. You need to hang one around your neck, but only if you are willing to buy it. Because once you put it on you will feel the power. I admit I can not tell you the in's and out's of exact tone, but I can tell you what I like and this is what I like.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/bcbtoby/ATOM001.jpg

olectric
09-13-2005, 09:02 PM
thanks, Mark

1. YES

2. YES (my roommate from last year had a PRS McCarty; it was pretty wimpy in comparison)

3. Just over 7 lbs. I've got the 3 minihums version. I was skeptical of the M3 in the bridge at first; I thought it wouldn't be full enough. I was dead wrong. It's my favorite pickup on the guitar now (and I used to be a neck single coil strat player). The bridge M3 is very full, punchy and open with a lot of overtones and harmonics coming through. The main difference between it and a full-size humbucker is that it isn't as compressed.

Go play an Atom. I haven't touched another guitar onstage since I got mine. Also, check out these older threads if you haven't already:

http://andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?t=2261

http://andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?t=2258

GaryMcT
09-13-2005, 09:39 PM
I would highly recommend not trying an Atom if you don't plan on buying one. :)

I can't compare to a Les Paul too much since I've never really liked Les Pauls. . too many problems. Too heavy, too uncomfortable, don't like the neck, etc.

My Atom (non-hollow) is lighter than a hollow drop top, if that's a useful reference.

It doesn't have the top end of a cobra (at least that's what I noticed when I picked up a Cobra at the shop the other day.)

The Atom has ridiculous sustain.

You should try one. . . even if it means a roadtrip or a plane flight. . it's worth it.

GaryMcT
09-13-2005, 09:42 PM
. . and you should definitely try it with M's in the neck and middle. . . I'm very happy with the results, although I wouldn't mind getting another one with 2 humbuckers and a bigsby in the future. :)

guitarzan
09-14-2005, 01:22 AM
My thoughts...

The quick answer to all of these questions is, just play an Atom.

I absolutely agree. It changes everything.

billyguitar
09-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Neck profiles:
I have two Drop Top Ts. One has the standard neck shape and one has the '62 roundback. The standard neck profile is too small for me and doesn't support my hand properly and making me fatigue sooner than the larger '62 shape. Will you be offering a neck profile in the same size range as the '62?
The Atom is the first guitar with this scale length that has interested me in a long time so I'm hoping a larger neck is in the offing.

Big Country
09-17-2005, 07:44 AM
I played the Atom over at Garret Park, MD and really liked it. Unplugged it just resonates wonderfully. Sounds close to a LP (definitely closer than the cobra and slightly closer than the McC. Plus, your back and shoulders don't bunch up after playing it for an hour (see Goldtop LP) The neck is way comfortable. A really cool guitar. It's a perfect addition to the TA collection, especially for us hard rockers.

Now if I could just find a darker top!!! Maybe Black with binding!

~thomas

tom
09-17-2005, 10:30 AM
hey big, are you looking for a dark color or a dark wood? if it's wood, we could do a dark walnut top.
the 62 will be available early 2006. we're making neck for january delivery now, that's why the delay. i need to get some programming time in.

Big Country
09-17-2005, 01:02 PM
hey big, are you looking for a dark color or a dark wood? if it's wood, we could do a dark walnut top.
the 62 will be available early 2006. we're making neck for january delivery now, that's why the delay. i need to get some programming time in.

Tom, you once made a Solid Cobra in Black, with binding, that was absolutely the coolest guitar (sounded awesome too!) I have ever owned. I HAD to sell it to fund my bands second album recording :( It was the second to last axe I sold. I think that color scheme would be ballsy on an Atom!

Thomas

tom
09-17-2005, 01:31 PM
hard to beat basic black.

brian b
09-17-2005, 04:12 PM
You mean like this one.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/bcbtoby/Picture002.jpg

brian b
09-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Already gone

Big Country
09-17-2005, 06:42 PM
If I could find that color scheme on an Atom look out!

Roy (maybe)
09-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Mr. Big,

No one will probably have a solid Black (which I totally love too) hanging in a store for sale. That would, almost for sure, be a special order only guitar. I know some guys in Newbury Park however who could make you the solid-Black, Atom of your dreams.

Roy (maybe)