PDA

View Full Version : Classic with Cobra neck?

JoeB63
09-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Is it poosible to get a Classic the the standard Cobra neck profile. That neck profile is, in the immortal words of Goldilocks, just right.

tom
09-09-2005, 10:47 AM
we have not offered that, but have thought about it. if you got a +.030 ta std, it would be the same down low, but about .03 thinner at the 12th fret. the cobra has .03 more taper. i would not be surprised if that became an option early next year.

JoeB63
09-09-2005, 11:24 AM
we have not offered that, but have thought about it. if you got a +.030 ta std, it would be the same down low, but about .03 thinner at the 12th fret. the cobra has .03 more taper. i would not be surprised if that became an option early next year.

I had a standard 1-11/16 +.030 and I didn't like it. Mostly I didn't like the feel up by the nut. It's not that it was too fat, but the shape felt somewhat wrong to me. It might have just been that it had a maple fretboard, of which I'm not a huge fan. And that neck did feel a little thin to me beyond the 12th fret.

I also have a 1-5/8ths '62 Roundback that I like, but not as much as the Cobra Standard - which always feels perfect.

For the record, my number 1 neck pet peeve is big shoulders - I just hate that.

Thanks Tom

MapleGuitar
09-09-2005, 12:51 PM
...i would not be surprised if that became an option early next year.Tom, speaking of neck options... just wondering if you are considering offering more than one fretboard radius in the future? My own favorite is 9-12" conical. Seems like some players like them flatter, some like them rounder.

tom
09-09-2005, 01:29 PM
joe, the cobra standard does have less shoulder than all the others so that makes sense. any of the oversize necks get a bit more shoulder so that is probably what you didn't like about the nut end of the +.030. you can also always order any of our shapes with "shoulders down".
probably won't see that radius any time soon.