PDA

View Full Version : SHOUTS OUT to Bruce Nelson

michaelomiya
09-05-2005, 03:01 AM
Bruuuuuce! You're the MAN. MAJOR DOMO ARIGATOS for getting the red/black/white into playing condition, and putting up w/ all my inquiries (and thanks also to Mr. A and Mr. F for letting me bother Bruce - unannounced, no less! :eek: :D). And in case anyone's wondering, the "family" is doing much better, now that they're all "reunited" and ready to ROCK. Oh...here, see for yourself:

http://www.members.cox.net/eddyrox/evhasall.jpg

GaryMcT
09-05-2005, 11:51 PM
How do you like 'em?

BoraBora
09-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Wow Mike, cool Charvels.

Just curious, how many guitars do you have? :)

Suriel Zayas
09-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Just curious, how many guitars do you have? :)

bora, hate to correct you, but that is almost like asking a woman how old she is. that's a no, no. ;)

michaelomiya
09-06-2005, 10:16 AM
bora, hate to correct you, but that is almost like asking a woman how old she is. that's a no, no. ;)

:D heh, heh, that's really no problem Suriel! The current count is 14, including 5 Andys and the 3 EVH Art Series guitars. The others are...wait.....:rolleyes: James, I think you already "know" what's in there! ;) :p

michaelomiya
09-06-2005, 10:29 AM
How do you like 'em?

(taken from one of my "rants" on a VH board, to a much "less" informed audience)

First off, the materials.

Yes the guitar body is basswood. Yes the neck is maple w/o any sort of amenitization (flame, birdseye, etc.). And yes the guitar is "limited" in terms of "usage" when compared to a 2 humbucker or S/S/H or S/S/S guitar. However, Basswood is no less a "wood" than Korina, Mahogany, Alder, Swamp Ash, Koa, Lacewood, Poplar, etc.. The tonal qualities are much more even across the tone spectrum, and marries well w/ the "snap" of a maple neck, accenuating the note and pick articulation. Is the maple/basswood combination bad? No, every EVH signature guitar from Kramer to Ernie Ball to PV has had this combination.

According to Tom Anderson (former Schecter Vice President, and parts supplier to Kramer (on the Ripley guitars and rendered the bowling ball paint job) and Wayne Charvel/Grover Jackson) - (apologies to Tom if I diminished your resume!:eek: :p ) , birdseye in maple weakens the neck and is less resonant (as the "birdseyes" are really knots in the wood and act as "dead spots"). Hard rock maple, w/ a pau ferro "skunk" stripe is the preferred design. It just so happens that both of my EVH Art Series guitars, as well as my 2 Anderson Drop Tops are equipped w/ hard rock maple necks and pau ferro skunk stripes. All 4 are loaded w/ basswood backs.

It's a matter of taste, not materials.

Second, the Charvel name.

Arguably, without the affliation w/ FMIC, Charvel Jackon would continue to "limp" along financially and cling to whatever dying legacy was created in the 80's. Now w/ the cash infusion and capital access that major investor represents, investment in capital assets such as CNC routers and/or manufacturing techology, access to higher quality woods, and the financial inertia to pursue an endorsee like EVH, becomes reality. Additionally, coupled w/ higher engineering tolerances, the build quality and the fret work of the EVH Art Series gets very "close" to that of an Anderson. The pinnacle of this marriage is that Charvel legally produces a "Strathead" w/o significant licensing or trademark issues.

Most importantly, given their alignment w/in the Fender corporation, Charvel is regaining the recognition as the true innovators of the "hot rod" guitar. And don't forget, this "relationship" also permits Charvel to legally produce a very close replication of the EVH striping pattern.

Finally, THE money issue.

It truly does boil down to the P&L (profit and loss) and the return on invested capital to FMIC/Charvel. Translation: does the artist endorsement and the initial capital outlay provide an above market return to the company? Moreover, is this return greater than the hurdle rate of a risk-free investment?

The strategic planning and marketing, design, the manufacturing, and ultimate distribution on a worldwide scale, requires mega $$$. THAT is ultimately why the Charvel Art Series is priced where it is. Yes there's a health profit to both the manufacturer who rewarded/compensated for taking the financial risk and to the retailer who shoulders the inventory maintenance risk when opting to sell a guitar w/ "limited appeal" in this fickle internet-obsessed (aka: fad crazy) market.

Conclusion:

In exchange for all of the work and efforts to market the Art Series, the buyer receives a VERY well designed, highly detailed, and fairly consistent guitar (your set-up my vary). Again, these are NOT your Anderson axes. Those guitars represent the pinnacle of quality, versatility AND tone. Consider the Anderson to be a Mercedes - nice lines, killer build and highly engineered (John Ou analogy). The Charvels would be like a killer Shelby Cobra or fastback Corvette. The Charvel will forever represent rebellion in a world of refined, all-purpose guitars. But where a Charvel may lack in versatility (e.g. "single hum"), it MORE than makes up in BALLS AND CHUNK (specially wound EVH p/up).

Even w/o the strathead and the EVH paint job, these guitars would be worth well in excess of the MusicYO or 80's Kramers. The build and design characteristics and the wood choice alone would justify that.

Love 'em!

GaryMcT
09-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Is the default neck on a Drop Top "Hard rock maple, w/ a pau ferro "skunk" stripe"?

GaryMcT
09-06-2005, 02:19 PM
I get the feeling that if I saw one of the red, white, and black EVH guitars in a store, I'd have to buy it. As it is, I'm resisting temptation. :)

tom
09-06-2005, 02:25 PM
there is no default neck. your choices on all our 25.5" scale guitars are maple back with indian rosewood, african rosewood, madagascar rosewood, pau ferro, or maple fingerboards. or indian rosewood with indian fingerboard. we stopped doing the skunk stripe when we went to headstock adjust.

GaryMcT
09-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Tom, I should have been more specific. What I meant to ask is: is the maple that is used on your necks hard rock maple? I'm not too clear on the maple variants.

tom
09-06-2005, 04:13 PM
yes, hard rock maple. we buy it from one guy ony. he has consistantly given me great stuff, and handles the wood from tree to billet.

GaryMcT
09-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Thanks Tom. I really appreciate how much info you are willing to give us here.

bruce
09-12-2005, 01:04 AM
Michael,

You are welcome... Just a few adjustments here and there... glad the family is back to normal.