PDA

View Full Version : Tuning stability

wolf
08-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi
Can anyone advise me ?
The G string on my drop top is a nightmare for tuning instability.
I use 10's as was supplied but if I dip the trem, even slightly, it comes back sharp, retune then bend a string and it returns flat.
I've fitted a set of GraphTech saddles and string tree, which have actually sweetened the tone but not helped the tuning.
It's driving me nuts and preventing me from gigging the guitar.
My other guitar's a PRS with no such problem.

Any ideas guys ??
Mark
UK

killerburst
08-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Do you hear a metallic "pinging" sound when you move the trem arm? If so, the nut slot is probably too tight. Try some graphite (pencil lead) in the slot. If that doesn't help, you might have to have the nut slot reshaped (best left to a pro).

Also, make sure the strings are seated well with no slack in the windings around the tuning machine post.

The string tree wouldn't have any effect on the tuning stability of the G string.

wolf
08-28-2005, 11:59 AM
thanks for the reply, no ping, and I've tried nut sauce to no avail.
any other possibilities or do you think it's definately the nut ?

cheers

bruce
08-28-2005, 12:30 PM
If you've already tried the nut sauce, it may possibly be something else. I've seen cases where with locking tuners some guitar owners had multiple winds around the tuning posts and experienced tuning problems. The locking tuners want to see about half of a complete wind to work properly.

If that still isn't an issue, I would look closely at the nut slot and see if there is any binding, sticking, or resistance.

tom
08-28-2005, 02:52 PM
i'd try the nut sause on the saddle. the g is the string with the lowest tension so it moves the farthest when the trem is used.

wolf
08-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Hello Tom
Thanks for the advice.
This guitar's amazing but the tuning's driving me mad.
I'll try the sauce on the saddle, but I'm hoping to find the cause of the problem rather than apply a band aid.
Like a terrier, i never let go, once i sink my teeth into a problem.
Credit to you though, stunning workmanship !!

Mark

dpeterson
08-29-2005, 06:28 AM
i've only had minmal luck with non locking trems, just been able to get some light tremelo from them, anything else is a disaster. I dont think you will get anything great unless you go to a floyd rose. my guitars with floyds i tune maybe once a month if that, and played a couple sets before without tuning.

dave

wolf
08-29-2005, 08:09 AM
Thanks for adding your thoughts.
Personally I hate Floyds, the tone and the hassle of string changes.
That is my own opinion and I respect your point of view.
My own point is that there must be a reason that the only string that's unstable is the G and I'm determined to get to the bottom of the issue.
I'm a light trem user, maybe a subtle vibrato or an expressive slurred note is about it.
Cheers

morty
08-29-2005, 09:13 AM
I have no problem with my tremolo on my Drop Top, but I am not a typical tremolo user. I do a lot of bending and countrystyle things, so my set up is hard and stiff. I dont think any guitar stay in tune a month with much playing!! You have changes in temperatur and humidity.

wolf
08-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Yea, I wouldn't expect a guitar to stay tuned that long, I only need it to stay tuned when i use the trem.
There MUST be a reason for the problem.
There's no ping that i can detect, but would such a perfect guitar leave the factory in need of further set up work ??

tom
08-31-2005, 02:35 PM
vintage trems are far from perfect devices. they are seldom perfect all the time. sometimes they work great for a period of time then stop working perfect. there are several places where metal slides over metal. these places need lubrication from time to time. as expensive as your car engine is, it needs lubrication to work well all the time.

dannopelli
08-31-2005, 11:35 PM
You might want to have the slot in your nut checked. Its not that painful :rolleyes: . Or maybe its gunked up a bit?