PDA

View Full Version : Randall MTS series

GaryMcT
08-12-2005, 07:52 PM
These are definitely worth checking out. The MTS series is the more mass produces version of Bruce Egnater's modular amp system. I tried out the Plexi module in an MTS combo last night and it was unbelievable.

billyguitar
08-13-2005, 10:14 AM
I have had a 50 watt MTS Randall for quite a while. I have the clean module, the plexi and the top boost modules. I actually like the amp quite a bit but I have some issues. It's very bright and all of the modules have too much gain for me, even the clean. Frank at Egnater sent me a diagram showing which parts to change in the top boost module to reduce gain but I never tried it. Another issue is how big and heavy it is but almost all good amps seem heavier than they should be. This amp really has about the best channel switching sounds I've ever heard except I wish the clean was cleaner. Even though I don't use the amp anymore I haven't sold it yet. I guess it's the channel switching feature that keeps me hangin' on. There are lots of better one channel amps but they cost a lot more money. My personal favorite right now is a Dr Z Maz 38 sr with reverb.

GaryMcT
08-15-2005, 01:51 AM
That's good feedback. I was mostly playing it with high gain tones. The twin reverb-ish module sounded close enough to the first channel of the IE4 (which I love) that I didn't investigate too much.

It's kind of a bummer that the Randall modules need modification to work as intended. Apparently the Egnater modules don't have this problem. Last time I looked, the Randall stuff is cheap enough that it might be worth doing the mods on them for those that are interested in this series.