PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Classic

mwoeppel
08-09-2005, 10:27 PM
I have absolutely NO reason to get a new guitar, but I'm gassing for a classic.

I really dig the vintage strat tone, but not the noise.

I have a HDTC that is great, had a DT and didn't really like it. Have two Cobras - love 'em both.

So I'm wondering...

Hollow or regular?
Ash or alder?
SA's or VA's?

I'll probably go with a rosewood fingerboard no matter what.

What do you think?

Mark

Big Mike
08-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Don't have an Andy (yet) but Ash has always been my favorite for stratty tones.

BFC
08-10-2005, 12:50 AM
I prefer the M series to the SA pickups in a Classic. If you want extremely close to traditional tones without the noise, these are the ones. For some sound samples, check these out...

Clips by David Barber (http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm)

David is a Swamp Ash fan, especially hollow versions. I get a better tone with Alder. Based on these clips and descriptions from Tom, I changed my newest Alder Classic order to have the new M1- neck and middle with an M2 bridge. I had an Alder Classic last year with the M1 neck and middle pickups. Great guitar but a little too fat, especially on the bottom, for what I wanted in traditional tones with Alder. You should be able to hear the difference between the two pickups in the clips. Should be here relatively soon.

Bard
08-10-2005, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the link, BFC. Great stuff! I haven't tried Ms personally, but from those clips they seem to sound thicker than the single coils, which have more of that bell-like, "hollow-sounding" chime.

Mwoeppel; for what it's worth, my hollow alder T Classic has terrific single coil tone. My vote goes to alder :)

mwoeppel
08-10-2005, 05:43 AM
[QUOTE=BFC]I prefer the M series to the SA pickups in a Classic. If you want extremely close to traditional tones without the noise, these are the ones. [QUOTE]

Well, my buddy and I played a '59 strat and my Koa Cobra with the minis through the same amp (channel A & B). The mini's were fuller and harmonically, more complex, but not as bright. Not even close to being the same.

Still love 'em, though. Just not the sound I'm looking for.

TimH
08-10-2005, 08:57 AM
IMHO if you want a real strat sound get VA's. They nail the vintage strat vibe...that in a swamp ash guitar with maple neck....mmmmm

tom
08-10-2005, 09:32 AM
comparing a strat and a cobra? i hope they were different sounding. i think you were hearing a lot more than pickups ;)

BFC
08-10-2005, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=BFC]I prefer the M series to the SA pickups in a Classic. If you want extremely close to traditional tones without the noise, these are the ones. [QUOTE]

Well, my buddy and I played a '59 strat and my Koa Cobra with the minis through the same amp (channel A & B). The mini's were fuller and harmonically, more complex, but not as bright. Not even close to being the same.

Still love 'em, though. Just not the sound I'm looking for.

I also have the M series in my Cobra S and they do sound fuller and not as bright in that guitar. Different sound in a Classic though and will be more so with the M1-. Just something to consider. Otherwise go with the VA series for dead on vintage. I love VA pickups (especially the VA12, VA12R, VA23 set!) in a Classic but you said you didn't dig the noise. I have a second Classic on order with the VA set for when the noise isn't a concern.

mwoeppel
08-10-2005, 09:35 AM
comparing a strat and a cobra? i hope they were different sounding. i think you were hearing a lot more than pickups ;)

Of that, I have NO doubt!

Apples & Oranges. :p

BrianH
08-10-2005, 10:08 AM
I've got a very nice Classic with M's coming in later this week. Come by and hit it.

mwoeppel
08-10-2005, 11:07 AM
-k

give me a shout!

mw

David Barber
08-10-2005, 12:15 PM
The VA has been my favorite vintage style single coil for about two years now. If you need dead quiet then it is time to look at the M1- with an M2 in the bridge.

mwoeppel
08-10-2005, 12:31 PM
The VA has been my favorite vintage style single coil for about two years now. If you need dead quiet then it is time to look at the M1- with an M2 in the bridge.

Hmmm. I could put Fender Noiseless in my Anderson! ;)

so far, it sounds like Ash with VA's. No word yet from Roy.

tom
08-10-2005, 03:25 PM
roy is still on vacation for the rest of this week.