PDA

View Full Version : String Trees

taclassic
08-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get some info in String Tree design. Particularly when a guitar design needs them and when it does not.

For example, I have seen guitars that either use one string three for the High E and B strings, or two string trees for the E-B and G-D strings, and some guitars don't use any string trees.

If a guitar does not have an angled headstock and uses 6 inline staggered tuners, does it need string trees?

The reason I ask is because I have a guitar that uses two string trees and is set up well, but the G and D strings always go out of tune whenever I use the tremelo. The guitar has Sperzel staggered locking tuners.

Thanks,
Ruben

bruce
08-05-2005, 12:09 PM
If you want to try taking off the string trees, see if the strings ring true with no buzzes in the nut and don't pop out of the nut when you strum or pick very hard. If they don't, then you are good to go with leaving the trees off. You will find that your previous tuning issue to be much more stable.

taclassic
08-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Thanks Bruce. I will give that a try.

Casper
08-05-2005, 01:45 PM
As long as you're on that subject, I changed out the string tree on my 96 Classic after I got it to a graphite string tree. No issues mind you, I just wonder why Tom doesn't use these instead of the metal ones?
Just curious...
Shaun

tom
08-06-2005, 01:30 AM
the graph tech work fine, i jut think they're a little ugly. a single metal one works great for me. i do lube it every once in a while.

bruce
08-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah, what he said!