PDA

View Full Version : Switching question

HiG
08-03-2005, 09:58 AM
I just got my DTC back from TAG where thay performed a pickup swap, replacing my SA's with M1's, but retaining the B5 switching. I still have the H2+ in the bridge, but the switching seems different now. Does the coil split mini-switch actually split the M's? I can't tell the difference. The blower position is affected by the splitter, whereas it wasn't before. I'm not complaining, just curious as to how the guitar is wired now. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

sylvanshine
08-03-2005, 10:52 AM
M1s don't split (they do, but is is too thin to be usable). Split should only effect the H2+ in the 4th and 5th positions I would think.

If you have the push-pull tone, it should add the bridge in positions 1 and 2.

From the Anderson FAQ:

B5 Switching with Add-bridge Push/Pull Switch

The small toggle between the volume and tone control is a master splitter switch.

Here is how it all works:

Let’s call position 1 the neck position. Positions 1-4 of the 5-Way switch operate traditionally and the master-split toggle switch can be used on any of these settings to get either series or split out of each pickup.

Position 5 is full-power bridge humbucker all the time. This feature allows for soloing with one flick to position 5, no matter which other tone setting are in use. We affectionately call this feature the “Blower Switch.” On the B5 set-up the “Blower Switch” is the 5th position of the 5-Way.

The push/pull of the tone control allows for the addition of the bridge pickup to positions 1 & 2 only. This gives the added pickup combinations of neck + bridge to position 1 and neck + middle + bridge pickups for position 2. The add-bridge switch only functions on positions 1 & 2 so there are no redundant switching positions.

To sum up:

Position 1: Neck Pickup (series or split with toggle selection)
Position 1 alt: (with push/pull in up position) Neck + Bridge Pickups (series or split with toggle selection)
Position 2: Neck + Middle Pickups (series or split with toggle selection)
Position 2 alt: (with push/pull switch in up position) Neck + Middle + Bridge Pickups (series or split with toggle selection)
Position 3: Middle Pickup (series or split with toggle selection)
Position 4: Middle + Bridge Pickups (series or split with toggle selection)
Position 5: Bridge Pickup (series always)

HiG
08-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Thanks Jay, that makes sense. The H2 can be split in position 5 (blower), which I guess makes sense also since the splitter has no effect on the M's. Can get some huge Tele type tones out of this guitar now.