PDA

View Full Version : Headstock question...

ryman150
08-02-2005, 02:02 PM
If you look back at the very first Andersons, they had the "fender-like" headstock shape. Looks like they changed like around 91 or 92 or somewhere early on to the new design.

1. I am curious as to why the change was made. Was there any design infringements with Fender or anything??

2. I'd love to know how the new design was created. I think it's the coolest headstock around. Still holds true to the relative classic shape of those type of guitars, BUT it has a new modern flow and contour to it - kinda like the "A" in the logo.

Thanks...

dpeterson
08-02-2005, 02:23 PM
1. I am curious as to why the change was made. Was there any design infringements with Fender or anything??
Thanks...

800lb gorrilla otherwise known as Fender. Tom told me that anything with a ball, or ball shaped on the end, they will jump all over you.

Dave

ryman150
08-02-2005, 04:07 PM
But what about companies like Crook - who make essentially a Fender duplicate. Are they so small, they are overlooked sometimes??

brian b
08-02-2005, 05:27 PM
It is called a lawsuit. There is alot of threads about this on the gearpage.

dkaplowitz
08-02-2005, 06:35 PM
But what about companies like Crook - who make essentially a Fender duplicate. Are they so small, they are overlooked sometimes??
I think that's the case. There's one I hope doesn't get busted any time soon b/c I want one of his relic'ed telecasters badly! ;)

P.S. To quote John Suhr from another forum:

Originally posted by Suhr
Anyone doing a Fender Headstock is looking for trouble.

tom
08-02-2005, 07:29 PM
they asked forcefully that we change it. i had done something that was different, but not different enough. anything with a ball and flag is going to get nixxed eventually. the guy you're talking about just hasn't hit their radar yet.
one of the guys here at the shop came up with what we have now in 1990. there aren't that many ways to connect the end of the hogh e tuner to the treble side of the nut, so coming up with something identifiable is tough.

ryman150
08-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Cool...thanks for the info Tom. You guys sure came up with a cool design...

dpeterson
08-03-2005, 11:22 AM
they asked forcefully that we change it. i had done something that was different, but not different enough. anything with a ball and flag is going to get nixxed eventually. the guy you're talking about just hasn't hit their radar yet.
one of the guys here at the shop came up with what we have now in 1990. there aren't that many ways to connect the end of the hogh e tuner to the treble side of the nut, so coming up with something identifiable is tough.

interestingly enough yours looks like the old kramer headstocks.. just about everything has been done, and if you go way weird like tyler people recoil in horror ;)

http://www.vintagekramer.com/headstocks/classic.jpg

dave