PDA

View Full Version : What's the Difference between H and HN pickups?

Duotones
07-27-2005, 10:00 PM
I've read some posts regarding H and HO pickups.

I know the differences between H and HO pickups, but I can't find any information about HN pickup.

I think these HN pickups (like HN2 and HN3) are more likely to have higher output than those like H2 or H2+, and read some information that these pickups have characters of more mid-range focused sound.

I've heard that some of anderson pickups have characteristic magnet structures and magnets of some pickups are neodymium (Nd) instead of Alnico. I wonder if these HN pickups are of Nd or Alnico and want to know any structural characteristics compared to H pickups.

Thanks...

J. Seo from Seoul, Korea

Duotones
07-31-2005, 01:32 PM
I hoped tom would answer to my questions, but I just think that this would be due to my bad command of English... :o

Briefly, Is there any structural differences between H3 and HN3 pickup?

I read that HO pickups are made under relatively traditional method but H pickups like H3 and H1 are somewhat different structures to earn clean single coil sound. But I think HN3 pickups used mainly on Floyd-Rose era (I think these are not commonly equipped on TA guitars nowadays) may have different architecture from usual H3 or H2+ pickups, I just want to know the differences.

And another questions... ;)

I wonder if the schecter "monstertone" and "super rock" pickups were designed by tom. If they were, when are they firstly designed?
And I read articles mentioning that some schecter pickups were manufactured at the TAGW and I wonder these monstertone and super rock pickups were made at the TAGW.

Please forgive me of my rudeness and poor command of English...

Thanks

mwoeppel
07-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey Duotones

Your English is just fine. it's the weekend here, and Tom is likely to get back to you tomorrow.

I'm going to be Seoul later this month!

Can I bring you something? you can pm me.

Mark

Suriel Zayas
07-31-2005, 04:54 PM
duo, i believe the shop will be closed this week, because they are away on vacation. tom usually answers immediately, but you might have to wait a bit.

tom
07-31-2005, 11:48 PM
we are closed this week, i'm off to new orleans tomorrow. and your english is way better than my korean!
H series have a ceramic magnet placed vertically between the tall coils. the HN's have neodymium magnets flat under each short coil. the hn's are more focused with a tighter bass. most of them are also on the high output side.

Duotones
08-01-2005, 12:21 AM
I'm afraid I've bothered you so much... I wish you will not be too angry for me. ;)

Thank you for kind explanation.

Tom, then would you answer to my 2nd question about schecter pickups?

tom
08-02-2005, 07:36 PM
sorry i didn't see that one.
i left schecter in june of '84. by late summer, they closed the factory forever. schecter japan needed pickups for guitars they made there, but they ha to be american pickups. they asked me to make them and i said yes. i was unemployed at the time. while i set up my wood shop in the garage during the day, i made pickups in the kitchen at night. the monstertones were something we made at the end of schecter so i just kept making them. the superrocks are just mutations of what i began making with this company. we still make some pickups for schecter, but they mostly go in guitars for japanese consumption.

Duotones
08-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Thank you very much!

Have a nice and fantastic vacation!