PDA

View Full Version : Build time, process and output

michaelomiya
12-18-2003, 05:01 PM
tom, bruce, whoever else is trolling the boards (roy - maybe!)...

Typically, how long does it take to complete an Andy (from order to marinating in the case)?

Is timing contingent on time of year (NAMM show preparation, major artist order, availability of materials, etc.)?

Are there processes that are initiated concurrently w/ the body construction phase? (e.g. the neck gets cut, board cut, mated, fretted, marked, adjusted, etc.)

Will TAG ever increase output (>800+ units/yr) to match demand, or does the current infrastructure prohibit such output due to sacrifices in quality and build consistency?

Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

dpeterson
12-26-2003, 06:09 PM
from my emails with roy, it took about a month to start and complete my guitar. It took 3 months so i could just get it started, i had to call around and find a dealer with a spot open, which happend to be magdon.

Dave

John Price
12-26-2003, 08:44 PM
Like Dave posted, it all depends on what slot a dealer has available! sometimes you get lucky and the dealer could have next month opened or he just might be filled for the year!

I'm sure Anderson Guitars are producing only what they need to produce with the utmost quality!

tom
12-26-2003, 09:00 PM
we reserve slots for dealers. they tell us how many they would like for the year, i we agree upon a number that will be healthy for us and them. we don't want to overload anyone. we'd rather they were looking for more next year than have more than they can afford in the store. we ned to know the final specs for the guitar about three months prior to the projected delivery date. we make the necks first. we do all the machining, and then it sits for a month. when you remove material(carve) from a billet, the shape of the baord will change as it stress relieves. after it has sat for a month, we retrue the fingeboard surface and put in the frets. that same week we make the body and match the neck to the body and prepare them for finish. they go through finish together. after finish they are ready for assembly. the builders build all week, then the following tuesday they recheck all they built the week before. this way the guitars have had a week to get used to having tension on them, and have a better chance of arriving at the dealer in nice playable condition. the whole process is about 2 months give or take a couple weeks. we are close to hitting the 800 mark this year, but with all the sickness this season we may not make it. it is only a number. we haven't hit 800 for the past two years. we should do better next year, but it's always something you know?

michaelomiya
12-28-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by tom
we reserve slots for dealers. they tell us how many they would like for the year, i we agree upon a number that will be healthy for us and them. we don't want to overload anyone. we'd rather they were looking for more next year than have more than they can afford in the store. we ned to know the final specs for the guitar about three months prior to the projected delivery date. we make the necks first. we do all the machining, and then it sits for a month. when you remove material(carve) from a billet, the shape of the baord will change as it stress relieves. after it has sat for a month, we retrue the fingeboard surface and put in the frets. that same week we make the body and match the neck to the body and prepare them for finish. they go through finish together. after finish they are ready for assembly. the builders build all week, then the following tuesday they recheck all they built the week before. this way the guitars have had a week to get used to having tension on them, and have a better chance of arriving at the dealer in nice playable condition. the whole process is about 2 months give or take a couple weeks. we are close to hitting the 800 mark this year, but with all the sickness this season we may not make it. it is only a number. we haven't hit 800 for the past two years. we should do better next year, but it's always something you know?

Tom, thanks for that information (it always helps when dealing w/ brian;) ). Seriously, I have always wondered about the TAG process vs. _______ (the other guys). Thanks for the insights and apologies for digging too much into your "business" process.