PDA

View Full Version : BFTS Question

ryman150
07-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Ok I am getting ready to do some shows, and I'll be playing with a few guitars:

Hollow T Classic (BFTS), Hollow Drop Top (BFTS), Fender tele, and then a Crowdster.

I guess my question is: Is BFTS ideal for live setup. I mean obviously if you can have it, go for it, but it seems that having multiple guitars - some that are BFTS, and some that aren't - I would constantly be having to reach down to my Korg DT-7 tuner and switch between BFTS and chromatic.

Also:

1. If I tune a guitar that is "setup" for BFTS in regular tuning, will it "detune" itself to a greater degree and actually sound out of tune then? Or will it just be tuned regularly like any other guitar...

2. If I tune a regular guitar up on a BFTS tuner, will I notice the few strings being off enough to sound out of tune?

Thanks for any info...

tom
07-21-2005, 03:53 PM
i used to use a regular tuner with bf guitars and it was good. i noticed it was better when i stated using the bf tuner. i would try tuning the regular guitar with bf settings and see how it is. i could never use a non bf guitar tuned on a tuner anyway, i would always want to temper it with my ear. since we all hear a little different, i'd just try both and see which is the better for you.

MapleGuitar
07-21-2005, 09:39 PM
I can't remember if it was Tom Anderson or John Suhr, or both... but somebody said it was OK to use a normal tuner with a BFTS guitar if you tuned using this method:

E (low E) - 7th fret harmonic
A - 7th fret harmonic
D - 7th fret harmonic
G - 7th fret harmonic
B - 5th fret fretted note
E (high E) - open string

I do it this way, even using the Strobostomp (to avoid the confusing interface of the Peterson tuners) and it works very well. Plus, if the bass player or another guitarist forgets his own tuner, he can use mine and I don't have to fiddle with any special settings for BFTS.

TimH
07-22-2005, 06:14 PM
why not get the tele fitted for a BFTS nut?

ryman150
07-22-2005, 06:26 PM
That is an option...not really somethin I wanna do right now though. Thanks for all the input everybody..