PDA

View Full Version : Jumbo SS Frets

BoraBora
07-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Amazing, simply amazing!!! I picked up my 2004 Classic from the TAG shop today and I am blown away by the new jumbo stainless steel frets that were installed. Bruce did a great job with the re-fret, thanks Bruce. :)

If anyone is sitting on the fence about changing out your heavy ss frets for the jumbo ss frets, I say go for it. You will not be disappointed.

Width wise, both frets are approximately the same size at the base. However, the jumbos have a more rounded profile as opposed to the pyramid profile the heavy frets have. This means the contact area with the strings is much wider with the jumbo frets. Height wise, the jumbo frets are slightly taller than the heavy frets. I would venture to guess that the height difference is approximately less than the width of a high E string.

In terms of play and feel, to me it feels like it is much easier to bend strings. This is mainly due to the fact that you don't feel the fingerboard as much, or "run into" the fingerboard. I personally do not like to feel the fingerboard when I play. I'm sure this might be the complete opposite opinion of other players. Doing 1 1/2 step bends or bending double stops to me is a lot easier, as well as the overall feel of playing leads.

Fret size is certainly a personal choice, and I'm sure the jumbo ss frets will not be for everyone. For me, I've always had a preference for jumbo "6100" style frets. I'm really happy that TAG is now offering this size and I'm sure other players out there will love this fret size option as much as I do. :)

GaryMcT
07-20-2005, 01:24 AM
The guitar that I've played the most in my life is scallopped. I'm really really happy that Anderson has Jumbo SS frets since these should (hopefully) give the same feel. I really like not touching the fretboard at all. . really makes it easy to bend and do vibrato.

BFC
07-20-2005, 04:02 AM
Can someone tell me how the new jumbo compares in size to the medium?

tom
07-20-2005, 10:19 AM
.020 wider, just a hair taller. i think what you feel the most with it is the girth of the crown.